PDA

View Full Version : Liquid and suction lines

tudorice
26-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi there, feel like a knob asking this, but in split airconditioners, on the condenser unit at the service valves, The cap tube metering device feeds into the "so called" liquid line of the system. In theory isn't this line actually part of the evaporator already, and henceforth being a suction line rather than a liquid line.

moondawn
26-10-2010, 09:06 PM
hi there the line going into the evaporator is the liquid line as it feeds liquid to the evaporator, inside the evaporator the refrigerant changes state to a vapour and this is then the suction line. can see your point but it is still containing liquid at that point still as the metering device changes the pressure and temp not the state.

frank
26-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi there, feel like a knob asking this, but in split airconditioners, on the condenser unit at the service valves, The cap tube metering device feeds into the "so called" liquid line of the system. In theory isn't this line actually part of the evaporator already, and henceforth being a suction line rather than a liquid line.
Not quite.
The suction line is from the outlet of the evaporator whereas the liquid line supplies liquid to the inlet of the evaporator. The position of the metering device within the liquid line doesn't alter the function or name of the liquid line.
As the name suggests, the line full of liquid - or liquid and flash gas. The suction line is connected between the evaporator and the inlet of the compressor.

tudorice
26-10-2010, 09:12 PM
hey thanks, arbitrary stuff, we all learnt but i was pondering it the other day, coz i mainly have dealt with cold stores (walk ins) and they all used TEV's an from remembering diagrams of refrigeration cycles, just wanted to ask.

cool runings
26-10-2010, 10:34 PM
hey thanks, arbitrary stuff, we all learnt but i was pondering it the other day, coz i mainly have dealt with cold stores (walk ins) and they all used TEV's an from remembering diagrams of refrigeration cycles, just wanted to ask.

Its technical term is the saturated liquid line / pipe.

You are right it is an extension to the evap but due to good insulation there is no or little heat exchange taking place.

All the best

coolrunnings

monkey spanners
26-10-2010, 10:51 PM
I have heard it called the 'expansion line'

cool runings
26-10-2010, 11:04 PM
I have heard it called the 'expansion line'

I've heard it called that also.

All the best

coolrunings