PDA

View Full Version : Controller Eliwell

Jundeb
23-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Hi,

I have a problem here with my cold room. The controller EWPX 193(/E) was burn out and we need to replace it. Since they don't manufacture this one anymore, we used the substitute ID985 LX. But when i tried to run it, its didn't run. tried several times to set up the parameters but still i can't get the compressor to run. any help would be appreciated. My unit is down for about 4 days already...:rolleyes:

Jundeb
23-10-2010, 03:25 AM
Can anybody in this forum help me? :(

Grizzly
23-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Hi Jundeb.
Stupid questions first.
I see you are listed as Chief electrician.
So I am assuming that you have wired up the new controller correctly.
Have you physically proven that the compressor runs?
Have you confirmed that there are no other components failed as a result of the controller failure?
All any controller is, is a set of Relays/ Switches.
Once you have proven each circuit.
Then we can look at what parameters you need to have.
Cheers Grizzly

Jundeb
23-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Hi Jundeb.
Stupid questions first.
I see you are listed as Chief electrician.
So I am assuming that you have wired up the new controller correctly.
Have you physically proven that the compressor runs?
Have you confirmed that there are no other components failed as a result of the controller failure?
All any controller is, is a set of Relays/ Switches.
Once you have proven each circuit.
Then we can look at what parameters you need to have.
Cheers Grizzly

Hi Grizzly,

All wirings are done accordingly.. all relays have been check well and i've tested the compressor and it runs well.. After i set the parameters and turn on the controller, i can't get any indication from the controller to run the compressor. i've checked the relay (terminal 15-16) its not closing at all. I tried to swap the parameters between H21 and H23 to check the relays.. and the relay works fine...

chemi-cool
23-10-2010, 08:51 AM
You have defiantly did something wrong, otherwise it would work.

Can you upload your parameters list so we can see?
A short explanation of how the controller start and stop the unit will help too.

Grizzly
23-10-2010, 09:52 AM
There you go boys!
Grizzly

Jundeb
23-10-2010, 09:59 AM
You have defiantly did something wrong, otherwise it would work.

Can you upload your parameters list so we can see?
A short explanation of how the controller start and stop the unit will help too.

Hi Chemi-cool,

Can i email the parameters to you instead? for the explanation of the controller. As soon as we finish all the wiring and setting the parameters, After the LED check is done, straight away the evaporator fan is running, without the compressor running. even if the temperature is already above the set point (on display 23 deg C). No Alarms and all probes were check and its all fine.

Grizzly
23-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Hi Jundeb.
You might like to check settings.
H21- set to 1 (level 1)
Also check the d-on (delay on Time that must elapse before comps starts).
d-of (time that must elapse before a comp restart after a power shutdown and restart)
Grizzly

Jundeb
23-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Hi Jundeb.
You might like to check settings.
H21- set to 1 (level 1)
Also check the d-on (delay on Time that must elapse before comps starts).
d-of (time that must elapse before a comp restart after a power shutdown and restart)
Grizzly

Grizzly,

H21=1, the dOn and dOf are set to "O"...

Jundeb

chemi-cool
23-10-2010, 11:39 AM
These settings are OK.
Does the controller activate the compressor or a SV?

What is the temp setting? Dif setting?

Can you follow the wires and check if currant gets to where it suppose to go?

Is the compressor's contactor coil OK?

Jundeb
23-10-2010, 12:03 PM
These settings are OK.
Does the controller activate the compressor or a SV?

What is the temp setting? Dif setting?

Can you follow the wires and check if currant gets to where it suppose to go?

Is the compressor's contactor coil OK?

Hi Chemi-cool,

The controller didn't activate the compressor or SV. I have set the Dif = 2, HSE= 10 deg c, LSE = 4 deg C
the compressor contactor seemed to be okay as i tested it separately and the compressor runs. which wire are you talking to be follow?

jundeb

chemi-cool
23-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Is the wire that goes into port 15 live?

Is there any voltage on port 16? [compressor]

Grizzly
23-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Hi Jundeb.
Are you getting the frost symbol (3rd from left) led lit?
This should energise when the compressor is being asked to run.
At the same time as I am sure you are well aware the N/O contacts 15 & 16 become N/C.
If the controller is energising the frost led and you have no switching action.
Then it can only be assumed that the controller is faulty.
If the led is not lighting, then there is some parameter holding it off, I assume.
Grizzly

Peter_1
23-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Can anybody in this forum help me? :(

Did you expect an answer within 3 hours after your post? Do you think we're all sitting behind our PC to answer questions.
And this for your first post!!! :mad:
RTFM

Peter_1
23-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Did you expect an answer within 3 hours after your post? Do you think we're all sitting behind our PC to answer questions.
RTFM
Or switch on the power supply a start

Grizzly
23-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Well spotted Peter.
Had I realised just how impatient the poster was, I suspect i would of been more reluctant to answer.

There again it is his first post!
Grizzly.

Jundeb
23-10-2010, 11:50 PM
RTFM

Peter_1,

I'm not expecting some answer straight away!!! just to let you know.. I was just wondering maybe this site is not really that well known yet due to less contributor of there ideas. I'm really thankful to CHemi-cool and the other contributor here for giving me some answers instead of criticizing my post. I know this is my first post here. Maybe our time GMT is not the same (maybe i sleep, then you're awake or vise versa).....

Jundeb
23-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Hi Jundeb.
Are you getting the frost symbol (3rd from left) led lit?
This should energise when the compressor is being asked to run.
At the same time as I am sure you are well aware the N/O contacts 15 & 16 become N/C.
If the controller is energising the frost led and you have no switching action.
Then it can only be assumed that the controller is faulty.
If the led is not lighting, then there is some parameter holding it off, I assume.
Grizzly

Hi Grizzly,

As soon as i turn on the controller, and run it for a period of time, i can't see the frosting symbol lit all. then the contact 15-16 didn't close at all.. i've been trying to figure out which parameter holds it from energizing...

jundeb

Jundeb
24-10-2010, 02:15 AM
Hi All,

I've made some progress here. I manage to set up the controller well. But strange is, as soon as i start up the unit, it gives me straight away an alarm AH1 (which i guess is normal due to existing 25degC temp) but the defrost icon is lit instead of the compressor. But the compressor and the condensing fan are both running.. any suggestions...

Grizzly
24-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Hi Jundeb.
check these settings please
dct =
dty =
And have you left the controller running for longer than the defrost interval?
What happens when yo leave it running?
When in the state you report are the actual defrost heaters energises?
Grizzly

Peter_1
24-10-2010, 08:01 AM
You have to change the parameter RTFM

Peter_1
24-10-2010, 08:04 AM
.... I was just wondering maybe this site is not really that well known yet due to less contributor of there ideas. .....

+50,000 members and mostly + 4.000 active users.:eek:

Jundeb
24-10-2010, 08:36 AM
You have to change the parameter RTFM

Which parameter are you talking here?

jundeb

Jundeb
24-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Hi Jundeb.
check these settings please
dct =
dty =
And have you left the controller running for longer than the defrost interval?
What happens when yo leave it running?
When in the state you report are the actual defrost heaters energises?
Grizzly

Grizzly,
dct = 2
dty = 0
As of now, I have kept the unit running and the temperature is about 9 deg C. No more alarm but still the defrost LED still lit and no frosting lit on the controller but the compressor is running... the actual difrost heater were energized.

jundeb

Grizzly
24-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Grizzly,
dct = 2
dty = 0
As of now, I have kept the unit running and the temperature is about 9 deg C. No more alarm but still the defrost LED still lit and no frosting lit on the controller but the compressor is running... the actual difrost heater were energized.

jundeb

Change dct to 0 ( defrost on run hours)
2 = every time comp stop initiate a defrost.
You then need to monitor your defrost intervals.
Grizzly

Tayters
24-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Hi Jundeb,

Try dCt - 1
As it is each time compressor stops the heaters are energised. Although it seems more to it than just that judging by your description of the fault.

Any chance you could list each of the parameters with their setting along with type of system (chiller, freezer)and defrost method (off cycle, electric etc.).

Does the compressor signal from the controller operate a solenoid valve or the compressor directly?

Cheers,

Andy.

Grizzly
24-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Hi Jundeb,

Try dCt - 1
As it is each time compressor stops the heaters are energised. Although it seems more to it than just that judging by your description of the fault.

Any chance you could list each of the parameters with their setting along with type of system (chiller, freezer)and defrost method (off cycle, electric etc.).

Does the compressor signal from the controller operate a solenoid valve or the compressor directly?

Cheers,

Andy.

You have come in a little late there Andy!
See previous couple of posts.
Grizzly

Jundeb
24-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Change dct to 0 ( defrost on run hours)
2 = every time comp stop initiate a defrost.
You then need to monitor your defrost intervals.
Grizzly

I tried setting dct = 0. what happen now is that temperature drop to 5 deg and stop the compressor and at the same time the evaporator fan. As soon as the temperature rise about 9 deg C, compressor runs back with the defrost LED lit and without the evaporator fan running. still the defrost heaters are on...:confused:

Jundeb
24-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi Jundeb,

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

We're using the unit for out chiller salad bar. As for the defrosting method, I've set it up to run without defrost (dty=0; dit=0)..

The compressor signal from the controller operates the compressor directly...

Jundeb

Grizzly
24-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi Andy,

We're using the unit for out chiller salad bar. As for the defrosting method, I've set it up to run without defrost (dty=0; dit=0)..

The compressor signal from the controller operates the compressor directly...

Jundeb

You have finally sorted your problem then.
Grizzly

Peter_1
24-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Are outputs A tot D (H21 to H24 ) correct configured?

Jundeb
24-10-2010, 12:57 PM
are outputs a tot d (h21 to h24 ) correct configured?

h21=1; h22 = 2 ; h23 = 3 ; h24= 9

Peter_1
24-10-2010, 01:28 PM
On which connections on the controller have you connected your compressor and defrost and fans?

Peter_1
24-10-2010, 01:30 PM
My guess? You switched A with B and then re-programmed the controller and introduced additional faults.

Tayters
24-10-2010, 09:23 PM
You have come in a little late there Andy!
See previous couple of posts.
Grizzly

Arrgh, 6 minutes late.

Actually that's rather good for me.

Andy.

Grizzly
25-10-2010, 05:01 AM
Arrgh, 6 minutes late.

Actually that's rather good for me.

Andy.

Good point, Well presented as they say!:D
Grizzly

Jundeb
25-10-2010, 06:12 AM
You have finally sorted your problem then.
Grizzly

No, i still can't see in the controller that the compressor lit is on. until now, the defrost heater still on and the temperature is about 18 deg C. blowers are running now..:confused:

Peter_1
25-10-2010, 08:55 AM
What are the answers on post 33?

Jundeb
25-10-2010, 12:06 PM
On which connections on the controller have you connected your compressor and defrost and fans?

compressor = pin16 ; defrost = pin13 ; fans = pin 17

hoodemar
02-11-2010, 11:43 AM
did u solve ur problem?
if not connect ur controller only L and N. then ur propes. set ur temp and check the contackt. controller has to run fans and compressor. some small leds whıch r under defrost fan cooling pictures. if these leds r shining but ur compressor output is not comming, so ur controller has a problem. in which step u r? the problem is only about compressor or evap fans also not working?