PDA

View Full Version : White, sticky substance R717

blake344
08-10-2010, 06:08 AM
I maintain a flooded evaporator ammonia plant. It has 3 Sabroe screw compressors and has three liquid pumps which draw liquid from the bottom of a large seperator. Also at the bottom of this seperator is an oil collector where oil carried into the system settles out.

I drained the oil from the collector the other day and left the oil sitting in a bucket so the ammonia could evaporate before pouring the oil into our sludge tank. When I did pour out the oil after a day or so, there was a white sticky substance left on the sides of the bucket. It is almost like glue, and is very difficult to remove from the sides of the bucket. I have drained this oil many times before and this is the first time I have seen this. Should I be worried? What could possibly cause this?

blake344
09-10-2010, 05:40 PM
I have finally figured it out, for those who are interested. The bucket is made of polycarbonate which can react with ammonia to form Ammonium carbonate, which is a white precipitate.

Grizzly
09-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I have finally figured it out, for those who are interested. The bucket is made of polycarbonate which can react with ammonia to form Ammonium carbonate, which is a white precipitate.

Thanks for the update, You seem to have sorted the problem yourself.
Yep Ammonia does like certain Plastics.
Grizzly