PDA

View Full Version : EBM fan motors

mikeref
28-09-2010, 04:46 AM
Has anyone had problems with EBM S4E300 single phase fan motors? Have a new evaporator installed 4 months ago in a small coldroom. Last week they said the fan smoked up and stopped spinning. Sure enough it wasn't the capacitor but the motor windings, so replaced it and completed voltage and current test. Two days later, they reported same thing happening with this motor so this time i set up a betts double ended with spider bracket and fan blade, not wanting to risk a third EBM. AS this store is 80k/50mile away i decided to wait there and run a datalog on power supplied to room, no fault. I also replaced condensing unit 12 mths ago and all new wiring so any ideas? P.S. Motors did not short to earth.:confused:.. mike

NoNickName
28-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Voltages? Neutral to ground potential? Is it speed controlled and how?
Did you check the quality of contacts of the contactor?
Any nearby inverter or spike inducing equipment?
I used hundres of s4e300 which is the most used on remote condensers for CCUs and similar a/c, no problems whatsoever.

mikeref
29-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Thats just it NNN, this is as simple as it gets for a single coldroom. The condensing unit plugs into a 10 amp general power outlet and power for the evap fan comes from the condensing unit junction box. No speed control, when coldroom plugged in to 240volt, fan on evap runs continuous. Just now rang through to client who said my temporary setup is running fine with the betts 50D503-80A motor. No other refrigeration malfunction at this location. Voltage measured on second visit was 219 to 238 volts. I'm leaning towards BAD LUCK. Thanks for answering..mike.

NoNickName
29-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Well 219/238 is 92%. Maybe there's more than bad luck

mikeref
30-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Well 219/238 is 92%. Maybe there's more than bad luck
I'm hoping warranty claims find them defective, since they are $240 AUD each. Never had them give trouble in past applications. Thought if shop power supply was faulty, i would have much more problems than this. There are no other EBM's in service on site. Thanks NNN.