PDA

View Full Version : Leaking defrost heater

Andy AC
27-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Today I was stripping out an old freezer room, came to pulling the evap down from the ceiling and found a bit of oil in the bottom of the tray. Took the plate from under the defrost heater off and found that the heater had a large crack in it and appeared to be oozing oil. The oil was quite thick and orangey in colour and did not smell - did not seem like fridge oil. Has anyone seen this before? - didn't realize that they had oil in them, or am I being stupid?
I was planning to use the evap for another project, so will pressure test it anyway. System didn't have any gas left in it at all, rotaloc valves rotten due to being on Cowes waterfront for the last ten years or so.

Andy

chemi-cool
27-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Never heard of oil with no smell.

Check if it is oil.

coolhibby1875
28-09-2010, 11:36 AM
i would never call anyone stupid, but i have never seen oil in a heater before, and i have broken up a few, most probally refrigerant oil!!

Andy AC
28-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Yep I'm stupid. It was fridge oil:o. Defrost heater had been bent upwards and was touching/rubbing on the return bends. Also the person that installed it had been heavy handed with the pipework causing a collapse and split on the inside of the evap outlet pipe.
System has not been run for three years - they got bored with it freezing up all the time, so they stopped using it.
All I've got to do is to get the room removed, I was hoping to refit it as a chill room using the same evap with a different condenser. Maybe not now if I can't fix the evap.
It definitely looked like it was coming out the heater though.

Andy