PDA

View Full Version : need help with mini split system

wloud
25-09-2010, 02:54 AM
I have a Gruinaire system it was installed by me and it seems to work . It cools, it shuts off at set temp. But it trips one leg of the two pole breaker. It continues to run. IT acts as if it could be a 120 volt system. I hooked it up on 240 volts because the manual that came with it said it is 240 vlots so how can it function on 120volts.

monkey spanners
25-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Sounds like you have a short somewhere on the side that is fed from the breaker that trips.
The system wants checking for shorts with a suitable test meter.

It is possible that the breaker is faulty but it is unlikely.

Jon

wloud
27-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Yes it does seem to be a short but everything is clear up to the outside unit. and it continues to run even with one leg tripped . It cools reaches temp shuts down starts up varies the speed . Everything seems to work normal but it is operating on 120 volts . how can this happen???

monkey spanners
27-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Its either...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs1RlQKBRpA&ob=av2e

Or it must be making a circuit some how. It is running at half voltage and with the other breaker off is also finding a way for the current to flow this must be a short or something, if you don't have the equipment or skills to find out what is going on get e tech to look at it before it blows a board or burns a motor.

Jon

boricuaq
30-09-2010, 06:16 PM
I have a daikin mini split,when I turned it on after a few minutes the blower speed decreases for a while and the start as normal.This happens about four or five time during the night.

monkey spanners
30-09-2010, 06:29 PM
I have a daikin mini split,when I turned it on after a few minutes the blower speed decreases for a while and the start as normal.This happens about four or five time during the night.

It may well be working correctly, many mini split systems vary the speed of the indoor fan up and down to mimic natural winds and such, my panasonic system does something similar.

nike123
01-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Normal behavior of inverter split system (ductless).
When set temperature is reached fan slow down and compressor speed slow down.

amerhvac
09-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Installation Stabilizer (voltage regulator)

ClimateControl
15-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Yup, Inverters never stop running and only use what they need.