PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Interference from Ligh to Air Conditioner

weeliang82
22-09-2010, 04:07 AM
Hi,

Will light emit frequency that disturb the frequency emitted by air conditioner wireless controller?

I encountered a complaint where the air conditioner is installed near fluorescent light, and the wireless controller cannot control the air conditioner. Only when the light is turned off, the air conditioner will stop by itself (something like the frequency only reaches the air cond unit after the lights is being turned off)

Any explanation for this? :eek:

btaylornz
22-09-2010, 06:51 AM
Not sure if the light is coincidence or not but the best way to check a ac remote or any remote for that matter is with phone with a camera.. turn the camera on and face the lens at the let and press the buttons on the remote.. if working you will see the flash in the phone screen.. :o

stefs_cruiser
22-09-2010, 06:51 AM
Yes,
But most commonly it is the compact fluoro or energy saving type of bulb that causes interference.

btaylornz
22-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Yes,
But most commonly it is the compact fluoro or energy saving type of bulb that causes interference.

Really.. that is good to know.. which end does it interfere with? the signal itself or the receiving end picking it up..?

bill1983
22-09-2010, 07:30 PM
it generally interferes with both ends of the transmission, we recently experienced this problem on commercial refrigerated cabinets, where the comm's line ran under the light control gear box. not sure why, may be EMF.

stefs_cruiser
23-09-2010, 05:56 AM
I beleive it floods the infra red in the units where I have seen it happen

nike123
23-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Hi,

Will light emit frequency that disturb the frequency emitted by air conditioner wireless controller?

I encountered a complaint where the air conditioner is installed near fluorescent light, and the wireless controller cannot control the air conditioner. Only when the light is turned off, the air conditioner will stop by itself (something like the frequency only reaches the air cond unit after the lights is being turned off)

Any explanation for this? :eek:

I would say that when fluorescent lamp is ON some portion of light spectar is emited to reciver and reciver is "over excited" with that and unable to correctly receive signal from remote controller. When you turn OFF lamp that "over excitement" disappear and reciver function normally again.
Most of user instructions have described this and simmilar behavior, especially with sudden flashes of sun rays etc...

Magoo
24-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Usually the ballast playing up in fluro. Try using a mobile phone in the area, they will usually play up as well with interference.

amerillove
24-09-2010, 09:09 PM
. I can reset right from the chair! My only issues with the product is the cost of replacing the controller, and the fact that any additional units you purchase do not include the USB cable that comes with the first one and the system. .

nike123
24-09-2010, 09:42 PM
. I can reset right from the chair! My only issues with the product is the cost of replacing the controller, and the fact that any additional units you purchase do not include the USB cable that comes with the first one and the system. .
What are you talking about?:confused:

Magoo
25-09-2010, 02:08 AM
Hi Nike 123.
my thoughts exactly.

csdome
25-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Yes. some light tubes and economic compact lightbulbs make an interference with IR controllers. (tv, aircon or others. ) try to change bulb type (other brand), or use a conventional light for test.

chilliwilly
26-09-2010, 02:32 AM
If there's more than one light in the room have you tried to swap the fitting over with one the furthest away? Like one of the other posts quotes it could be that the fitting has a high frequency ballast that is emmiting an erratic residual EMI that is being picked up by badly screened cmos technology pcb. Or even worse wired on the same circuit as the lights. Food for thought. Try tripping the breaker and see if the unit and the lights go off, or swap the fitings.

Andy_WSM
26-09-2010, 07:16 PM
If there's more than one light in the room have you tried to swap the fitting over with one the furthest away? Like one of the other posts quotes it could be that the fitting has a high frequency ballast that is emmiting an erratic residual EMI that is being picked up by badly screened cmos technology pcb. Or even worse wired on the same circuit as the lights. Food for thought. Try tripping the breaker and see if the unit and the lights go off, or swap the fitings.

I'm sure the right answer is above - flourescent lights can emit IR radiation, which floods the IR receiver on the unit. I had a TV that suffered from it! Compact flourescent lights are notorious for causing the problem.

chilliwilly
26-09-2010, 09:10 PM
After you have changed the IR receiver on the ahu, and if it still doesn't work. Then you have a little more food for thought. I was just giving another possible solution, not being stupid.