PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Filter

Q-14
03-09-2010, 05:32 AM
I have an SB 30 Max that I bought to cool my workshop, 15k hours, BM 913581.
I'm in the process of changing out the dryer and oil so it can be filled with R404a, the local TK hero told me to look for the compressor filter and change it if it had one. From his description, the lines should be connected to the two ports at the bottom of the oil pump, this one just has plugs so I assume it did not come with one originally.
Question; I anticipate this unit will only run a few hundred hours per year during the summer, would it be worth the effort and expense to track down the piping and install a filter? I have not drained the oil out of the compressor yet so I have not seen how much ick is on the drain plug magnet.
The other question, if I may, is concerning, you guessed it, manuals. Is there a list of all of the manuals available for this unit as it looks like TK makes a different manual for every nut and bolt on it as apposed to one that covers everything.
Also, might they be available somewhere in a PDF type format? Unit looks to be manufactured in Ireland in 1995.
My original intent was to take this unit and split it up, put the evap inside the building and leave the rest outside and connect the lot with a lineset. After taking it apart, putting it under a bare bulb, obligitory amount of head scratching, it appears there is a bit too much going on in there for that to happen effectively, so it will be installed outside and ducted in.
Any horror stories of similar attempts that ended in tears would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

djbe
09-09-2010, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't bother with the compressor oil filter kit for the application you are using it for, just check the oil is clean in the compressor.

If it is grey with metallic particles then you would be advised to pull the compressor out and take a look anyway.

Best get in touch with your TK guy to see if he has got any manuals that you can have first of all.

As for splitting the unit, there is definately too much going on for that!!

How big is your workshop exactly? Could be a very expensive and noisy way of keeping it cool?

regards,
djbe.

DaButcher
10-09-2010, 12:43 AM
Be very cautious about exhaust leaking into you shop. I have seen soot inside of reefer trailers

abbsnowman
10-09-2010, 04:16 AM
You say that you are doing this work so that you can charge with R404A? Do you mean it has none in it? Were did it go? Or are you changing from R502? If that is the case, there is allot more involved than just what your describing.
I would get a proper unit for this aplication.
I can not stress enough to you to avoid what your doing. Like DB said, exhaust alone is reason enough. Secondary, I have seen first hand, (not only once), buildings burn down by reefers with issues. (No need to explain as you will not understand details.)
Please re-considder. You would not buy a motor cycle to pick up gravel would ya??

Q-14
15-09-2010, 05:03 AM
Shop is 2000 sq ft, 12' open & insulated, it really needs more dehydration than cooling, it's well insulated so the unit would only run while I'm there.
Shop sits on top of a hill out in the country where the wind always blows so I'm not terribly concerned about exhaust as it would be piped off from the muffler, probably to the roofline.
It was a 502 unit that was properly taken out of service, the compressor oil was like new and almost nothing on the magnet.
Expensive, yes, so far, but it's been a fun project, the unit, if the project goes ahead, will be spaced away from the building about 18" with sheetrock against the building and a metal enclosure made for it with air inlet ducting to the condensor side and a powered exhaust fan on the other side to remove the heat,flexible air duct connectors to keep noise and vibration to the building down as well.
I understand and appreciate your concerns, that's why I posed the questions to hear others' stories.
Many of the Amish farmers in this area use them to cool their horse barns in the summer, their horses being their livelyhood.

Freezeme
16-09-2010, 04:56 AM
I wouldn't bother with the filter kit either, if the oil is still clean after 15k hours and nothing on the magnet you should be good to go.
It's nice to see someone re-purpose some of the older equipment instead of just letting it rot somewhere, recycling, remember?
I've seen lots of these things used to cool buildings after they've come off of trailers, if you don't mind a little noise outside and having to keep the tank topped up, why not? at least you know who's pocket you are filling with diesel, certainly the most efficient way we have of getting rotary motion, and when the lights go out, you can still stay cool in your shop, fire up the generator to run the fridge and TV, good for you!
Might want to watch the ambient in your cover building to make sure you've got plenty of air movement, most of the ones I've seen used for this purpose have just been hung on the outside of the building with no cover, besides, keeps the taxman off your back if he can't see what's inside.

Cool On! ;)