PDA

View Full Version : Where has the oil gone??

shaun220
16-08-2010, 09:46 PM
I have a v500 50 unit. Changed the engine compressor 3 months ago. Complaints of a screeching noise from engine comp. Checked it over long story short no oil in the comp eventually seized. this unit has had the oil pipe mod. (Ie new hose ran from elec comp down into the suction line in the capping.) Cant afford to change comp again!!!! Any ideas.
Thanks

cadwaladr
16-08-2010, 10:01 PM
I have a v500 50 unit. Changed the engine compressor 3 months ago. Complaints of a screeching noise from engine comp. Checked it over long story short no oil in the comp eventually seized. this unit has had the oil pipe mod. (Ie new hose ran from elec comp down into the suction line in the capping.) Cant afford to change comp again!!!! Any ideas.
Thanks
did you clean the system when the first compressor failed if not thats the answer,you have to strip them down clean and flush purge with ofn pressure test vac and recharge you must change the oil seperator.

Magoo
17-08-2010, 02:22 AM
Sounds like you are between a rock and a hard spot.
No Money ,no compressor, no refrigeration.
Suggest you rip it all out and start again.

djbe
17-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks

Firstly how much oil was taken out of the previous failed compressor and how much did you put in the new one.

Did you change the oil seperator? If you didn't you will probably find it is blocked with grey "sludge" which will prevent it working properly.

Even if you didn't do a proper clean up when you first replaced the compressor I would expect to find some oil in it.

What temperature is this unit running at?

Latte
17-08-2010, 05:31 PM
what gas are you using and at what temps. could possibly be oil migration to the evap

gravy258
18-08-2010, 06:46 AM
run it in heat for half an hour and see if the oil comes back.

djbe
19-08-2010, 10:10 PM
run it in heat for half an hour and see if the oil comes back.

But if the oil has migrated there has to be a reason for it.

abbsnowman
20-08-2010, 03:03 PM
I have seen were the oil retun line is plugged. The hole at the compressor end is very small. I have also seen were guys don't remove the schrader valve from the port.
Check orfice screen at TXV and the low pressure switch while refrigerant is out.