PDA

View Full Version : The mystery compressor oil?!?

Willsmithiraq
07-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Guys,

Can someone put my mind at ease. I'm working on some 166kW Trane units, which unfortunately after delivery to Afghanistan have no refrigerant in them. After the suction nuts coming loose. During the pressure test I've noticed that all the oil has disappeared from the compressor and has been pushed round to the TEV. Is this normal as I've never noticed this before when performing my pressure tests. I appreciate that some oil travels through the systems when they run, but will this large quantity of oil return to the compressor before it causes damage once I run them up??

Any info would be most welcome!!

Cheers

Will

malkiaizrod
07-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Maybe it not transport correctly - on right position

frederik79
07-08-2010, 08:22 PM
if the system had a leak and was running low on refrigerant it is possible that not all of the oil returns to the compressor.
make sure the leaks are sealed then put a minimum of oil in compr look at sight glass , charge the system correctly and you will see that the oil will return...

airlift123
08-08-2010, 05:10 AM
Iam sure there is oil still in the compressor below the sight glass enough to run it until the oil returns to the compressor during a run up. Don't add any oil until you have run the system awhile and while monitoring the compressor and the oil sight glass. If the unit has a oil safety it will shut the unit down in 90 seconds so dont worry about this. Did you say the unit lost the charge you were not specific.

Willsmithiraq
08-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Yes, the units had lost there charge during transport to site. Some circuits did have refrigerant in them and some didn't. So i've decided to recover all the circuits and pressure test just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the info on the oil, I will keep my eye out when I run them up.