PDA

View Full Version : scroll gone bad ?

overscore23
31-07-2010, 03:47 AM
If my readings on the gauges look like suction is about equal to the head, on a scroll what's the way to know if it's bypassing not pumping or reversing valve is stuck in the middle ? I have yet to come across a full proof way ? Anyway thanks in advance for the help.. ...

centrecipew
31-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Compare Running Amps recorded now against previous logs, if substantially lower then it would suggest that the scroll is not pumping.
Also perhaps feel the Dischsrge pipe, if not much warmer than suction this may also give some indication. Good luck.

Bones
04-08-2010, 09:45 AM
If it's a new install/replacement compresser I'd say it could be pumping backwards (3phase type). Or not uncommon here, grid upgrades or repairs where linesman crosses over phases on re-connect, this is where phase fail relay in control circuit invaluable!

transcoolchris
13-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Firstly are your gauges OK?
You can hear a scroll if it is running backwards, if you are not sure Copeland scrolls are OK for a short time if you try reversing phase rotation.

Bones
14-08-2010, 05:30 AM
Ok to hear if your outside and it's the only unit running. Little harder in plantroom where you can't hear anything then add the ear plugs hehe

refman2010
17-09-2010, 03:45 PM
if it sounds like its not running correct, reverse any two of the phases (if 3ph) this is common on scrolls!

goshen
18-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Hi. It would seem like thiOs guy is off the grid all good replys but no response

HVACRSA
23-09-2010, 08:59 AM
What would happen if the compressor runs for a period of time with the phases incorrect? Would it cause the compressor to burn windings?
I came across one a few days ago where they had problems with 3 phase power to the house. I think the compressor only had 2 phases for a period of time. The compressor is causing the RCD to trip.

NoNickName
23-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Of course, if the compressor runs on 2 phases, it burns shortly after. Inspecting it will show one winding perfectly ok, and 2 remaining windings burnt and widely overheated..