PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a fridge freezer

dustyking
30-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi I need to buy a new FF.Fridge space more important than freezer.Any makes to avoid,or hunt down? Favourite so far is AEG S75348KG98 due to price and 5 year warranty.Should I look any further?AEG comes out about 550 pounds with discount codes.Masny thanks for any input

D

monkey spanners
30-07-2010, 07:10 PM
I'd buy the most basic one i could find with a good energy rating, with no electronics or frost free rubbish in it. I would try and avoid one with R600a as a refrigerant too.
I'm not advisiing you this is what you should do, its just what i'd look for in a domestic fridge.

I'd be seroiusly tempted to make one myself though now i come to think of it.

mikeref
07-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Dustyking, as monkey says steer clear of electronics however most fridge freezers are just that way now.Oh.. my opinion, seperate fridge and freezer( chest type) works for me

momo
16-08-2010, 02:53 AM
Support Monkey Spanner's comment. Note that some "plain" fridges have a little fan to help air circulation, but no electronics (mechanical thermostat and door/light/fan switch) and the rear wall is the evaporator (cooling part) - ideal. I was In the same situation recently as my R12 one was crumbling to the floor: compared two nearly identical fridges in a shop: fan version was deffinitely MORE efficient: A class, without electronics. Another thing an external condenser has better air flow and less heat insulation problems - but more likely to be damaged in transport etc.

mikeref
20-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Momo,external condensors were phased out on domestic fridges over 10 years ago, on this side of the planet anyway. definately a shame as they were the best!

Magoo
21-08-2010, 03:30 AM
Buy the fridge that your wife likes, that fits into her kitchen design what ever, she has to live with and use it. It will save a lot of greif.