PDA

View Full Version : help frascold a17y

njb
09-07-2010, 04:37 PM
hi we have a hubbard unit with a frascold a17y compressor, it ran fine then cut out completely, we restarted it would do nothing for 10mins then after this it would switch on for about 3 mins then cut out, now nothing, have phoned everyone and no one seems able to help with this unit, its also says r22-r134a gas, thanks nigel

monkey spanners
09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
What type of system is it on?

I'd be happy to come and have a look for you but im based in oxford, it would cost you about £330 to get me on site plus time and materials to effect a repair or diagnose the problem.

Is your usual company too busy or something?

njb
09-07-2010, 05:59 PM
hi, we are just a small butchers, not a fridge repair company, its on a trailer we use for farmers market, just need it fixing, all the people round here we have phoned wont even have a look, how much if we bring it to you

Grizzly
09-07-2010, 06:23 PM
"Fill Yer Boots MS."
Grizzly

sedgy
09-07-2010, 07:33 PM
hi njb, did you tell them all your fridge was 17 years old?

njb
09-07-2010, 07:36 PM
all the fridge etc was replaced in 2003, so nothing on it is older than 7 yrs, thanks nigel

coolhibby1875
09-07-2010, 07:51 PM
all the fridge etc was replaced in 2003, so nothing on it is older than 7 yrs, thanks nigel

are you sure this wasn't second hand when it was installed, im sure this equipment was older than 2003:eek:

njb
09-07-2010, 08:12 PM
no, its on a trailer, and was fully overhauled by manufacturer in 2003 and have checked all the serial numbers and plates etc, and it looks like everything was replaced compressor is date stamped, and various other bits have serial numbers and date marks, annoying thing is it may just be something stupid, but would be nice for someone to actually have a look, thanks nigel

NoNickName
09-07-2010, 08:15 PM
a 1 7 y is still on production. From the symptoms I suspect it's INT69 cutting on high temperature or low pressure switch cut out.
A = 2 cylinders semi
1 = 1 HP
7 = 7 m3/h flow rate
Y = POE oil

njb
09-07-2010, 08:25 PM
thanks, is there anything we can do ourselves or has it got to be done by a fridge engineer, we have tried everyone locally and no joy, our regular guy is just not interested,

Gingerair
09-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Where's that guy with the blood wagon ???
I could see a deal here....:)

njb
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
lol, where abouts are you, we are just outside lincoln, but dont mind going anywhere to get fixed, we always have fridge work to be done, its just our regular guy has got in with a big fridge transport firm and he cant manage any more work,

Gingerair
09-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Hi njb, it's a bit far for me to travel to be honest..
Monkey's offer is a good one though, i'd snatch his hand off if i were you :)

Reminded me of this thread-
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25774

Good luck !

Ginge

njb
09-07-2010, 10:04 PM
hi, would ideally like to find someone local as we buy and sell fridge vans, know the basics but thats it, where abouts are you, as i said i do not mind travelling, just concerned that if he comes down then needs to order parts and come back again it will not be a viable fix, thanks nigel

Gingerair
09-07-2010, 10:43 PM
You really need someone local to make it viable & i am really miles away :)
There's a lot of people on here willing to help though, you just might need to be a little patient..

Has Monkey said it's too far for him ??

Ginge

njb
09-07-2010, 10:59 PM
no, he is willing to travel, but my concern is that if he travels all this way to say it needs a part ordering the cost of him coming back to fix will be to much, someone on here has got to know someone local to us, we have another question if you dont mind, we have a hubbard 460 unit with no 240 volt standby, the compressor is engine driven, is there any way we can take this off to run via a 240 volt or 12 volt motor so when its standing at a show we dont have to keep the engine running, thanks nigel

Reeferman27
09-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Sorry am I not reading right, or do you lot already know NJBs location?
If it wthin 25 miles of J11 M27 I will have a look for you.

njb
09-07-2010, 11:10 PM
hi we are in lincoln, think some of you should move to this area, because no one here knows what they are talking about, all we have been told for the last 3 days by local experts is that r22 is banned making it unfixable, so they wont even come and look at it, does not matter that it may only be a switch that is faulty,

Gingerair
09-07-2010, 11:11 PM
He's outside Lincoln- post 12

Any takers ???

Reeferman27
09-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I will read a bit more carefully next time. Sorry lincoln is a bit out of my range. :confused:

sedgy
09-07-2010, 11:18 PM
in your introduction you wrote the compessor is 17y so what dose that indicate ?

monkey spanners
09-07-2010, 11:25 PM
It would be a six hour and 300 mile round trip for me which seems a bit daft, i'm sure there must be someone nearer who would be able to help.
R22 isn't banned, all you can get now is reclaimed, which is getting a bit short supply. Failing that the are drop in replacements but with these you could well have to change some system components etc.
But if they don't use R22, i can see why they wouldn't want to have to buy a whole bottle when you may only need a couple of kilo's, thats if the problem is refrigerant related.

Is the condsener nice and clean? can you see through it, there should be no dirt or dust whatsoever. Has the unit got pleanty of air, if not that with the warm weather could cause it to stop running. Or has this problem been manifesting for some time?

njb
09-07-2010, 11:25 PM
we was told by a local expert??? over the phone that the compressor was seized and they are no longer available, asked if we could replace it with another make, and was told that was impossible, so was recommended to come on here by a friend, thanks for all your replies

Reeferman27
09-07-2010, 11:27 PM
OK, I may be barking up the wrong tree but is it a transport unit run by a standby diesel engine? Is there water/oil in it? Can you plug into the mains? Is there a fault code on the controller?

njb
09-07-2010, 11:32 PM
hi, we dont mind bringing the unit to you, to be truthful it had not been run for about 6 months, we started it ran fine, after about a week of use we went to it, it started ran for ten mins then stopped, after checking fuses etc we plugged it back in it ran for 5 mins, then stopped, we found that if you left it for about 5 mins it would buzz when first switched if you switched off straight away and back on it would run again for 5 mins, it did this a couple of times, we bought the trailer back home to try it on electrics in hope, but there was nothing when we switched on at all,

njb
09-07-2010, 11:33 PM
hi, its only a single phase unit on a twin wheel trailer, sorry forgot to say its not a lorry unit,

Reeferman27
09-07-2010, 11:40 PM
It sounds a bit more complicated than can be explained and needs a man who can put a meter on it. Sorry I can't be a bit more helpful. If we were a bit closer.......
Anyway I am going to bed.
Keep the faith and don't have nightmares.

NoNickName
10-07-2010, 01:09 AM
If it buzzes and doesn't start, then it's most probably the start capacitor blown. It's not seized, and it is still in production. Don't listen to vultures. You need just a good refrigeration engineer with electrical skills.

Besides,I don't think it's R22 (in 2003 was already banned for new installations).

Anyway, on Frascold's website, you can find the resellers in the UK. Please contact Howard Davis: he will try to find a solution for you.

njb
10-07-2010, 10:24 AM
hi, where abouts is the capacitor, is it the same as on a normal electric motor, round and about 150mm long and attached to the motor or what does it look like and i can have a look, how can i get hold of howard davis, thank you for all the replies,

NoNickName
10-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Yeah, but there are two or three capacitors there: one or two as starting capacitors, and one as run capacitor.
As for Howard Davis, his address and phone number are on Frascold website here: http://www.frascold.it/eorgvendita_eu.htm#uki

njb
10-07-2010, 07:39 PM
thankyou will give him a call first thing monday morning, just going to get amp meter to see how much current the compressor is running at,

NoNickName
15-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Did you get in touch with him? Did you solve your prob?