PDA

View Full Version : Concerned over new job

RFChiller
02-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I've been a Refrigeration Service Engineer for over 10 years now, working on Commercial Refrigeration and Small Split A/C systems.
I've just been offered a new post as a Building Services Engineer and much of the work will involve HVAC Chiller systems. I'm a little worried over my lack (none what so ever) experience on them.
Has anyone else gone down a similar path? Should i be concerned or should i just keep reminding myself the principles are the same and it may take time to learn?

Thanks for any advice :)

sedgy
02-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Hi RFChiller , well done there is nothing wrong with progressing your career, if you where open with your new employers , they may send you on a course< how many different makes of chiller are you going to work on?< all the best, sedgy

Gingerair
02-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi RFChiller

Sedgy's right, you should look at this as a way of progressing your career, an opportunity to expand your knowledge..

One of the things i like about this job is the variety of equipment you can work on, over time it makes you a better engineer...

Go for it !! :D

fazzamouse
02-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Did the same as you 2 years ago worked on commercial refrigeration and split air con but i went into the supermarket game,best thing i ever did as long as your honest about your knowledge and don't bull**** you'll be fine,goodluck mate.

RFChiller
02-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Im not actually sure how many different systems they deal with, although Trane was mentioned.
I'm going to be with someone who knows the site's for the first 2 weeks, then i suppose i'll be dropped in at the deep end!

james10
02-07-2010, 10:42 PM
if you can manage a vrf a basic chiller system should be a doddle i went the other way from industrial to comercial i'm a much better engineer for it
good luck

cool runings
02-07-2010, 11:20 PM

Just remember refrigeration is refrigeration and it all works the same way.

The big differance is the controls and if you are honest and open you will be fine.

Ask question and ask for help, no one will think less of you and most will help.

Just remember you are as good as them it's just experiance that is differant.

all the best cool runnings.

Tesla
03-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi RFChiller
I did as you are about to then onto controls and now energy management. You will be fine - just remember if your not sure or don't know something just call an experienced guy in your company or ask on the forum. Your on the right track and should do well - all the best.