PDA

View Full Version : defrost heater fixings

Andy AC
03-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Hello chaps, have got to fit a very long defrost heater element to an old ice cream scoop display. Problem is that I have no method of holding the heater up under the coil, as it has never had one before. The clips that were supplied with the heater are not suitable. Have any of you guys got any ideas or a good bodge for this problem, if you have had it before?

Andy

B G Scott
03-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Hello chaps, have got to fit a very long defrost heater element to an old ice cream scoop display. Problem is that I have no method of holding the heater up under the coil, as it has never had one before. The clips that were supplied with the heater are not suitable. Have any of you guys got any ideas or a good bodge for this problem, if you have had it before?

Andy
it will be a bodge, strip some earth wire from 6mm twin and earth cable, copper on copper coil will not come to any harm ( I assume it is a copper coil) no risk of electrolisis etc.
Not a great fix but better than waiting for the correct kit, you can always go back anf sort it later

fowlie
03-06-2010, 09:03 PM
i use capillary tubing as its alot stronger than cable and you can twist it on quite tight

Andy AC
03-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Nice one guys, I have plenty of cable and capilary tube. Suddenly feeling a bit more positive about the job.
I'm not worried about it being a bodge - It'll still be better than the rest of the machine, and the copper will increase its value:)

Andy

Tayters
03-06-2010, 11:14 PM
RS Components sell metal cable ties. I used them on supermarket heaters as the clips could sometimes be a bit limp.