PDA

View Full Version : intermittent cooling problem?

fast_murray
24-05-2010, 03:13 AM
I have a kenmore freezerless refrigerator (mod# 60722). I bought this fridge used but in new condition, the tags were still hanging it even. I ran it in my BBQ trailer at a contest this weekend and it initially cooled to 35 degrees with the control turned to coldest setting. It shut off and doesn't turn back on until the temp is in the 60-65 degree neighborhood. I'm terribly frustrated as I went to this setup to get away from coolers and I don't want to go back. Any ideas? I'm an electrician so I kinda understand some of this but I don't know where to start. Thanks!!

lana
24-05-2010, 05:25 AM
Check the thermostat first. Then check the refrigerant amount.

lowcool
24-05-2010, 06:06 AM
sounds like your thermostat is out of range or its sensor is maybe in the wrong location.if its a cold plate or tube type evaporator you want to have a full frosting affect all over if you have this i would say that the thermostat is out range

fast_murray
24-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Pardon me for not knowing alot. How would I know if the thermostat is out of range and is this a repairable problem or a replacement issue? Also, I can tell you that it has a tray underneath with maybe 4 or 6 coils running through it. This tray had a very small amount of water in it when I got mad and unplugged it. (Not because of the water but because it won't cool right. Thanks for your patience!

sneep
24-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Pardon me for not knowing alot. How would I know if the thermostat is out of range and is this a repairable problem or a replacement issue? Also, I can tell you that it has a tray underneath with maybe 4 or 6 coils running through it. This tray had a very small amount of water in it when I got mad and unplugged it. (Not because of the water but because it won't cool right. Thanks for your patience!

Leave it unplugged a couple days with the door open. Turn the thermostat to midrange. Plug it back in and check it the next day. You probably froze it having the thermostat turned all the way down.
Realize that a residential refrigerator isn't designed to be used as often as commercial equipment. So the box temp will be higher throughout use because it removes less heat.

fast_murray
25-05-2010, 01:03 AM
I have had it for a few months before I used it and plugged it in the night before I left for the BBQ contest. The stat was set in the middle and it was cool to start with but then started giving me the trouble so I turned it all the was to coldest to combat that problem. Something else I thought of was my trailer was tripping the GFCI recep at the campground and the fridge may have been off and on repeatedly about 3 or 4 times until I got that problem solved. Would that matter?

sneep
25-05-2010, 01:37 AM
Yes a compressor can "cycle on the overload" meaning the compressor has the overload safety resetting, trying to start but opening due to the combination of heat and amperage. Unplugging it and letting it cool is how you fix that.
I'd leave it unplugged long enough so any ice has melted, set the TS to midrange and check it a day later.
What's the reason you got away from commercial coolers?

fast_murray
25-05-2010, 01:52 AM
By coolers I meant a igloo cooler full of ice. It's just a drag to deal with the ice and water in your food. My neighbor looked it over and believes it to be low on refrigerant. It is running right now and said it will probably ice up if is low. What does it take to recharge it if that is indeed the problem? Thanks for your responses, its interesting to learn about different things.

sneep
25-05-2010, 03:35 AM
You'll need line taps, refrigerant and gauges. Repairing the leak it'll be a larger list.
Let it run. It'll probably get down to temp.

fast_murray
25-05-2010, 04:24 AM
When taking the thermostat apart one of the 3 spade terminals on the back of it was a little sloppy so I fixed that. It is at 33 degrees and seems to be doing ok. I looked at the coils in the refrigerator and they weren't icy, maybe just a tad frosty. I'll keep an eye on it for a couple of days and see how it is. A refirigerator in the traier is 10 times better than 4 huge coolers. Except for beer. Beer seems like it belongs in a cooler. Thanks for the help!!

fast_murray
26-05-2010, 03:23 AM
I had a guy tell me to check the amp draw of the compressor and compare it to the rated draw. It was drawing 1.5 amps running and has a rating of 7 LRA. The refrigerator is rated at 5 amps @ 120 volts. Also, it is damn hot to the touch. Does this mean anything?

lana
26-05-2010, 03:39 AM
Yes, means lack of refrigerant.

sneep
26-05-2010, 04:58 AM
Yes, means lack of refrigerant.

Box is getting down to 33 degrees.
He should clean his condenser coil.

lana
26-05-2010, 05:05 AM
Box is getting down to 33 degrees.
He should clean his condenser coil.

If it was condenser then Amp would be higher than normal. Here Amp is lower.

fast_murray
27-05-2010, 05:02 AM
This thing is as clean as brand new, I don't think it was hardly used. I'm going to give it a try again this weekend after fixing the thermo wire and see how it goes.