PDA

View Full Version : co2 pressures & training

coolcash
01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm not an engineer ...but in the industry.

With the number of co2 sites being put in by the major retailers ...any comments on the training going on in respect of dealing with the safety issues with the very high pressures in these systems........................

supermarketguy
01-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Hi Coolcash

At present Marks and spencer are the only retailer, that are putting trainging in before they allow there engineers on their sites.

This involves a online course via Star and a 2-3 day practical course on their test rig at white city in London.

I am not aware of any other retailer putting this type of training in, before you are allowed to work on their C02 Sites.

Other contractors, do have their own training rigs and i belive WR do their own. Not sure what other contractors do.

Hope this helps,

Supermarketguy

Silhouette
03-05-2010, 02:56 PM
The WR course is for Morrisons, as they do the same as M&S, you cannot work on Morrisons Co2 kit without having the card to show the store manager you have passed the course.
At the moment JS have no specified Co2 course as they are evaluating three different systems, Tesco have their own Star designed plant and you have to do the Star course to work on that equipment.
So basically if you have not done the relevant course you should not be asked to work on the kit nor should you work on it, as you are not classed as competent and are therefore breaking H&S requirements!
Hope this helps:D
Sorry Coolcash, just re-read your question!
The training providers ecentuate the need for care with Co2 with particular reference to not trapping liquid, venting parts of the system etc. when carrying out service/maintenance work. Also using the correct techniques as adopted by the BRA whilst carrying out any work on the system.
There is usually a certain amount of theory involved on the courses where the high pressures and temperatures are reiterated.