PDA

View Full Version : Most Service Techs

bwd111
17-04-2010, 06:50 PM
I guess its true when the State that 93% of service techs are parts changers..Glad I spent 17 grand and went to HVAC/R School..

cool runings
17-04-2010, 06:54 PM
I guess its true when the State that 93% of service techs are parts changers..Glad I spent 17 grand and went to HVAC/R School..

$17 000 to learn you how to change parts.

Wow your school know how to charge....

:p :p

You should have got in touch with me I'd show you how to change parts for half what you paid :D :D

cool runnings

Brian_UK
17-04-2010, 11:14 PM
17 grand and he couldn't check a compressor electrics; WOW, some course. ;)

dave101
18-04-2010, 02:09 AM
have to agree...
I myself had experience of this kind of support. They say that its because of the warranty that is why they rather replace it than repair it... but it hurts the customer :(

nike123
18-04-2010, 03:34 AM
have to agree...
I myself had experience of this kind of support. They say that its because of the warranty that is why they rather replace it than repair it... but it hurts the customer :(
How that hurts customer if it is under warranty?

ImpellerNut
19-04-2010, 02:06 AM
Parts changers make the most money for a company.

I don't own a company though...

Magoo
19-04-2010, 04:00 AM
Parts changers give our industry a serious bad name.
A technician with the knowledge will get repeat business for him self or his/ her employer. Which in turn supports the integrity of our industry.
The current recession will sort the idiots out of our industry.
It is about time that our industry is recognised as a health enviroment issue. The whole thing gives me the shytes, we suffer the ozone debarcle and now the global warming crappp. So let the punters stew. Here we have plumbers and bleedin' electricians installing heat pumps, and openly advertising the fact. Cheeeee.... give me strength.
magoo

Whisty
20-04-2010, 10:19 PM
A technician with the knowledge will get repeat business for him self or his/ her employer. Which in turn supports the integrity of our industry.
It is about time that our industry is recognised as a health enviroment issue. The whole thing gives me the shytes, we suffer the ozone debarcle and now the global warming crappp. So let the punters stew. Here we have plumbers and bleedin' electricians installing heat pumps, and openly advertising the fact. Cheeeee.... give me strength.
magoo

The reputation of the industry in the eyes of most old school engineers is in tatters. Most service departments are propped up by one or two decent engineers. Sharp practice is still common place, engineers are unhelpful, untrustworthy and incompetent. The trade is a disgrace. I could show you photographic evidence of 'repairs' carried out by what once were well regarded companies that are no better than bad DIY jobs.
The only reason the industry gets away with it is because thankfully not many customers have any idea what to expect from a technical perspective.

young gun
19-05-2010, 09:47 AM
magoo

Very well said Magoo!

dirk
20-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Could not agree with magoo more.
the best techs are easily identified they resolve faults using the least parts.

PaulZ
20-05-2010, 01:02 AM
I agree with Magoo.
We have a similar situation in Aust with the Plummers and Sparky's putting in split A/C's. :mad:
Paul

jakabus
21-05-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't see how parts changing is the cheapest way to go. PROBLEM - faulty txv (temp is low so refrigerant is evaporating cuz its open) liquard has blown the compressor.
Boss - tells the tech's to change the compressor cuz thats whats blown. then it blows again so when its warrented it the boss looses money installing another compressor.
Customer- looses another day of trade to repairs. so its a loss for him.
Tech's like us- get the blame for it all or risk getting the sack for doing it the right way and the customer will ask for someone differant because of the last frigy who worked on it.
^ thats crap cuz its expensive for both company and customer and the frigy has to take the brunt of it all

Fett
25-05-2010, 12:31 AM
They always say that you can judge the difficulty of a job by how many runs to the parts house you do.

I paid 12,000$ for my school and they say they only "really" teach superheat and subcooling. The best way to learn is to be in the field with someone whom has been doing it for a long time. Unfortunately I got a bum facility maint. job. :(

Magoo
25-05-2010, 04:36 AM
I cannot see how being in a class room and paying for the privilage can produce half decent refrigeration technicans. OK I am old, started sweeping the floor then progressed to carrying the tools, then actually doing the work under supervision, added lots of reading and course notes and verbal stuff.

sneep
25-05-2010, 05:30 AM
I cannot see how being in a class room and paying for the privilage can produce half decent refrigeration technicans. OK I am old, started sweeping the floor then progressed to carrying the tools, then actually doing the work under supervision, added lots of reading and course notes and verbal stuff.

Way more to learn and training is the fastest way to ramp a guy up to speed. The reading and courses taught you more than carrying tools and sweeping floors I bet.
You get a good instructor you get access to all the experience he has. His whole job is to train you.
You are not at the mercy of the guy you are following around for OJT who might think keeping you ignorant gives him job security.
I don't pine for the mystical days of feeling for beer can cold and sacrificing a chickens leg to the HVAC gods.
I like technology and new stuff and volumes of information. Instructors in our trade are some of the most plugged in to new stuff in the trade. Thats their job. I'd rather they bundle it, price it and present it. So I can make use of it.
But I'll concede scratching your balls and staring at a unit in a transcendental state does expand the mind.:)

Magoo
26-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Hi sneep.
I did a 10,000 hour apprentiseship, 5 years.
I have been envolved with training many apprentices here over many years. Did not do the floor sweap and carry the tools thing with them. But did ensured that they totally understood the refrigeration system cycle. Once they dropped into the slot after alot of discussion and ars kicking, then system balance and problems were reasonably recognisable for them. The cycle principles dont change.
I still keep in contact with most of them and they are all doing really well.

sneep
26-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Hey Magoo
I think you just like the fun part, of teaching the hands on training. :D

Lodiev
26-05-2010, 03:17 PM
OK I am old, started sweeping the floor then progressed to carrying the tools, then actually doing the work under supervision, added lots of reading and course notes and verbal stuff.
Well yes this is the best way i prefer as well the old school way.
Magoo im halfway there to gain what took u a lifetime, i admire U and will respect u guys above the School going fitters.:cool:

mad fridgie
26-05-2010, 10:25 PM
I have a saying
"the best design engineer is an ex sreviceman, the best serviceman is an ex design engineer"
The point is that you in most circumstances need a combination of both schooling and practical training.

TRASH101
27-05-2010, 09:43 AM
I did a 10,000 hour apprenticeship, 5 years.
I have been envolved with training many apprentices here over many years. Did not do the floor sweap and carry the tools thing with them. But did ensured that they totally understood the refrigeration system cycle. Once they dropped into the slot after alot of discussion and ars kicking, then system balance and problems were reasonably recognisable for them. The cycle principles dont change.
I still keep in contact with most of them and they are all doing really well.

I believe that the sweeping, carrying tools and ars kicking during an apprenticeship has a very significant value. It teaches them the work ethic, progressive integration and a structured and balanced approach to, what can be, a mentally and physically demanding engineering discipline.

dirk
01-06-2010, 09:12 PM
I co incidentally have the same saying as mad fridgie but would add that without proper and good understanding of the basic principles many in our trade are easily lead astray.