PDA

View Full Version : purging hoses

Randykissling
17-04-2010, 02:54 PM
guys
I was wondering if and how you purge your gauges when you put them on a system just to check pressures. Thank you Randy

sedgy
17-04-2010, 05:19 PM
hi randy, first off , I would only put gauges on if there was a problem with the system , second , if you use quick release schrayder hose connections, there is no need to purge,if you have to add gas a quick one second release of GAS is better than liquid into the atmosphere but when finished blocking the charging line < with bottle or plug< close discharge valve or take off schrader conection open both valves on gauges and the psi will be down to suction psi in seconds < no liquid release<

cool runings
17-04-2010, 06:32 PM

It would depend, different system with different refigerants would all need purging.

I would do it differently for a commercial system compared to an industrial system.

On commercial systems when there should always be pressure I always purge from the low side, all the way through to the high side of my gauges, on industrial where there may be a vacuum on the suction side I purge from high to low.

If I have a refrigerant bottle I somtimes purge with that.

It is horses for courses for me because I work on so many different types of equipment.

I try not to purge with liquid if I can avoid it.

cool runnings

sedgy
17-04-2010, 08:16 PM
hi cool running , just on a point of interest , do you have a set of gauges for each different gas you work on ? or for different oils in diff , systems?

Peter_1
18-04-2010, 07:49 AM
To all EU posters (all repliers were EU posters): it's not allowed (!) any longer to purge your hoses. :eek:
You have to vacuum them before you put them on the system. Or have a set for each refrigerant and use quick couplers.

FreezerGeezer
18-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Dear Lord Peter, tell me you're joking!!!

Here in Oz, I haven't seen anyone using 2 or 3 sets of gauges, just one. Very, very few use 4 port sets. When I queried this, I was told that the local belief is that properly purged and removed, the amount of oil mixing is negligible. To be honest, I haven't yet seen any problems caused by this.

sedgy
18-04-2010, 11:43 AM
ok peter 1 ,
ok freezergeezer,
all info greatfully receved

Peter_1
18-04-2010, 12:24 PM
D.... When I queried this, I was told that the local belief is that properly purged and removed, the amount of oil mixing is negligible. To be honest, I haven't yet seen any problems caused by this.

I have 3 to 4 sets in each van, one for R410a and all the others for the other refrigerants, mixed like I pick them out of my van.
I haven't spoken about oil mixing FG, it's all about unlawful venting gas to the atmosphere.
This is no longer allowed in Europe (EN378/2008)
I also haven't encountered problems in the past with oil remaining in my manifold. But the law is clear on this subject.

Peter_1
18-04-2010, 12:28 PM
.... Very, very few use 4 port sets....
I have nothing else than 4 way manifolds. A lot easier once you're used to work with it.

One Man
22-04-2010, 04:26 AM
I have a couple manifolds but honestly I think that the concern of oil mixture is grossly overstated in the industry. If you view the trace (yes, trace) oil left in your gauges as a poison to a system that uses a different oil then consider how poison works in the real world with any substance. Poison is all about quantity. Thus I could poison you with chlorine or water...each would require a different quantity.

Therefore, in my mind, worrying about mixing such small amounts of oil in most systems is rather nonsensical. One fiftieth of an ounce of mineral oil entering a system that uses polyester oil does not give me a moment of worry for the life or health of that system. Just as one delicious steak dinner isn't going to make me worry about my cholesterol levels.

As a side note, for those that work on extremely small systems like domestic refrigerators I can see the reason for the various sets of hoses and manifolds...but if you're working with something that has more than a pound of refrigerant in the circuit...I just can't see going through the trouble of purchasing and maintaining so many manifolds.

And on another side note...the EU is going to be regulating what color coat you can wear when you service a system next month...You must wear a pink coat when servicing a R-410a system...etc. :rolleyes:

cool runings
22-04-2010, 07:20 PM
hi cool running , just on a point of interest , do you have a set of gauges for each different gas you work on ? or for different oils in diff , systems?

Hello.

I have a set for 410 which is a different fitting and I have three or four other sets.
Gauges are gauges and I only have different sets because I work on multiple systems at the same time.
I have gauges with long hose's and short hose's and I use them as needs be.

As for purging it is an accepted practise.
It is perfectly legal.

The law states that you must take all reasonable action to minimise loses.
A controled purge is OK as long as it is controled.

cool runnings