PDA

View Full Version : Thermo King Ts-200 and RD-II SR problems

Ssport488
24-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Hey guys I have come across these forums a few times when searching for some answers for refrigeration questions.

My family owns a fleet of four medium duty refrigerated box trucks. We are a resteraunt wholesale meat supplier. Just a small family run business thats been competing in the local market against the big guys like Sysco, PFG, etc...

We run an old MD-II, an MD-II SR, an RD-II SR, and a TS 200.

I havent had too many problems with these units as far as any major repairs. I went to school for diesel/industrial and actually had a class on transport refrigeration which I was already pretty familiar with. The class did help a lot though.

Currently I am a tractor and heavy equipment mechanic at a large dealer not too far from my home or the family business so I still service our trucks to make some pocket money and help out.

Right now I am having problems with our Ts-200 and RD-II Sr

The Ts-200 I have replaced the fuel solenoid several times and my two local TK dealers I deal with both said its a very common problem and they keep changing the solenoids. Last year the solenoid shorted internally and melted out the back of it. This in turn popped the fuse and threw a no start code.

Went to preseason the units after sitting without use over the past few months of winter and the Ts-200 just cranks and doesnt start. I wasnt getting any smoke from exhaust so immediately suspected fuel. Checked it over for quick checks, fuel pump is working, all fuses are good, cracked the lines to check for fuel and i had no fuel comming from the pump. Now wierd sign number one is when i press the on button the unit hits the starter a few quick times which its never done, then the buzzer sounds and the fuel pump kicks in. Now typically buzzer shuts off and the unit then starts after a slight delay. But now while the buzzer is going it tries starting and then when buzzer is off it will just crank continuously and not stop or throw a code I manually shut it off.

The starter kicking in kind of makes me nervous, not sure if something else is up like the processor/control unit. I didnt think much of it and shot for the solenoid again only to find out its not working. I pulled it out and the unit starts right up and i had to manually shut the unit down by pushing the fuel rack to close it. I put on a new solenoid today and its just cranking again no start.

I am wondering if this is a microprocessor issue or maybe a relay issue? i didnt have my torx bits to open the fuse/relay pannell to swap the relays or see whats on the same relays to try and diagnose figured it was worth a shot to ask here first if theres a common problem or another good place to check.

Alright next up is my RD-II SR issue. Seem to be having a problem with the electric stand by motor. It burned up the first belt from motor to compressor so i replaced it with the same belt. Which burned out after like an hour its just spinning on the electric motor pully. Seems to me like the belt may be too big it rides high in the pulley. But it rides fine on the compressor. The next suspect then was maybe the pulley is wrong or the pulley is damaged. One of the guys at thermo king (not a tech, parts guy) said the larger truck units after time have issues like that with the pulleys. The pulley is like $150, plus a belt, not sure if its worth a shot or not. Couldnt get an exact answer from him if the RD and MD models were the same or if he could check and see if this was the exact electric motor for the RD series or what. I am losing my mind over this one its been a year long debate on what to try.

Thanks guys and hopefully someone can lend me a hand with these I am stumped and havent spent much time digging deep into the small truck units.

cadwaladr
25-03-2010, 12:46 AM
yeah had issues with this solenoid on the ts range,i source them from another supplier ,i think TK have had a bad batch,a big batch!,on the rd the belt elec/comp 78 0900/78 898? when i replaced it always retensioned it after 5 hours of electric use but it always was a fast mover on custumers who used electric standby but if you dont use the unit everyday corrosion on the pulleys could be the issue?

abbsnowman
25-03-2010, 02:38 AM
The first issue sounds like a relay or I/O board or possibly micro. Hard to say. (Buzzer /starter issue) That is likely the cause of the fuel solenoid failure. The pick or trigger wire should not be energised for long periods of time.
We put that wire to the starter like on a Carrier. Lots of TK guys will poo poo that but hey works for Carrier for the last 20 years and I have had no issue at all.

Your RD, check the motor mounts. You tighten the belts and the engine leans over. very common issue. Can you push motor around by hand?
The stand-by belt may burn off if engine clutch is locking up.
Hope this helps you!
Abbs

carrier_trained
25-03-2010, 07:27 AM
yeah had issues with this solenoid on the ts range,i source them from another supplier ,i think TK have had a bad batch,a big batch!,on the rd the belt elec/comp 78 0900/78 898? when i replaced it always retensioned it after 5 hours of electric use but it always was a fast mover on custumers who used electric standby but if you dont use the unit everyday corrosion on the pulleys could be the issue?

Old numbers.

here's new ones
eng/comp 78-1031
comp/elec motor 79-0899

i reckon they have changed again!

carrier_trained
25-03-2010, 07:28 AM

Old numbers.

here's new ones
eng/comp 78-1031
comp/elec motor 78-0899

carrier_trained
25-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Alright next up is my RD-II SR issue. Seem to be having a problem with the electric stand by motor. It burned up the first belt from motor to compressor so i replaced it with the same belt. Which burned out after like an hour its just spinning on the electric motor pully. Seems to me like the belt may be too big it rides high in the pulley. But it rides fine on the compressor. The next suspect then was maybe the pulley is wrong or the pulley is damaged. One of the guys at thermo king (not a tech, parts guy) said the larger truck units after time have issues like that with the pulleys. The pulley is like $150, plus a belt, not sure if its worth a shot or not. Couldnt get an exact answer from him if the RD and MD models were the same or if he could check and see if this was the exact electric motor for the RD series or what. I am losing my mind over this one its been a year long debate on what to try.

Thanks guys and hopefully someone can lend me a hand with these I am stumped and havent spent much time digging deep into the small truck units.

Does this RD have a plastic adjuster idler pulley which pushes down on the engine to compressor belt??

djbe
30-03-2010, 11:40 PM
The Ts-200 I have replaced the fuel solenoid several times and my two local TK dealers I deal with both said its a very common problem and they keep changing the solenoids. Last year the solenoid shorted internally and melted out the back of it. This in turn popped the fuse and threw a no start code.

Went to preseason the units after sitting without use over the past few months of winter and the Ts-200 just cranks and doesnt start. I wasnt getting any smoke from exhaust so immediately suspected fuel. Checked it over for quick checks, fuel pump is working, all fuses are good, cracked the lines to check for fuel and i had no fuel comming from the pump. Now wierd sign number one is when i press the on button the unit hits the starter a few quick times which its never done, then the buzzer sounds and the fuel pump kicks in. Now typically buzzer shuts off and the unit then starts after a slight delay. But now while the buzzer is going it tries starting and then when buzzer is off it will just crank continuously and not stop or throw a code I manually shut it off.

The starter kicking in kind of makes me nervous, not sure if something else is up like the processor/control unit. I didnt think much of it and shot for the solenoid again only to find out its not working. I pulled it out and the unit starts right up and i had to manually shut the unit down by pushing the fuel rack to close it. I put on a new solenoid today and its just cranking again no start.

I am wondering if this is a microprocessor issue or maybe a relay issue? i didnt have my torx bits to open the fuse/relay pannell to swap the relays or see whats on the same relays to try and diagnose figured it was worth a shot to ask here first if theres a common problem or another good place to check.

Thanks guys and hopefully someone can lend me a hand with these I am stumped and havent spent much time digging deep into the small truck units.[/QUOTE]

Do you get any fault codes of the TS when it has finished doing it's own thing?

How many hours has the RD done?

Regards,
djbe.

djbe
30-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Old numbers.

here's new ones
eng/comp 78-1031
comp/elec motor 78-0899

No I think thats still current, besides carrier would have changed them several times by now:confused:

djbe.

gravy258
02-04-2010, 03:32 AM
the TS solenoid fault is due to the relay board sequencing of the solenoid. The only fix is the latest revision relay board. $$$+ . The TK dealer by you should know this fix its been years since anyone else had this problem.
Or do as the carrier bloke says and put the pull in wire to the starter as carriers do.

The belt from your electric motor to the compressor needs to be very tight, no flex whatsover, or it'll burn out. I've never heard of any pulleys issues on truck units.
The only other thing that would cause the belt to burn out is too much compressor load. Put a gauge on the side of the throttling valve and check the pressure it should be 18psi or thereabouts.
The clutch on the engine is free spinning on electric OK?

abbsnowman
03-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Gravy, have you tried hooking to the starter? Works great!!!!

Ssport488
03-04-2010, 07:05 PM
the TS solenoid fault is due to the relay board sequencing of the solenoid. The only fix is the latest revision relay board. $$$+ . The TK dealer by you should know this fix its been years since anyone else had this problem.
Or do as the carrier bloke says and put the pull in wire to the starter as carriers do.

The belt from your electric motor to the compressor needs to be very tight, no flex whatsover, or it'll burn out. I've never heard of any pulleys issues on truck units.
The only other thing that would cause the belt to burn out is too much compressor load. Put a gauge on the side of the throttling valve and check the pressure it should be 18psi or thereabouts.
The clutch on the engine is free spinning on electric OK?

I havent hooked the gauges up i doubt thats the case that its loaded up too much.

It just seemed to me like the belt rode high but ive seen quite a few things about having that belt super tight.

I do not like how you adjust the tension on that motor at all....its a really sucky setup

Also the board on the TS was junk....they stopped by the TK dealer last week i guess after i told them the board is probably junk and i think they hooked in a new one to check it and its all set.

Right now im servicing 4 units and im going to tension that belt a bit more to see if it will work....

tsimarelis
28-05-2011, 01:54 PM
hi guys
has anyone wiring diagrams and shematiqs of ts 200?

tkman
31-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Just to add another comment regarding fuel solenoids burning out and blowing fuse. I have noticed a re-accuring problem with the earlier RD's etc. (well at least there the only ones i have seen cause probs), where the 8DP intermittently is energised during normal operation, causing solenoids to burn out and blow the 40amp fuse. i have been fitting a auto resetting C/B in-line (off the 8DP terminal on the board) to combat the issue, seems to be working quite well. A bit of food for thought for those who just change solenoids continuously. Has anyone else seen this?