PDA

View Full Version : Whirlpool K40 ice maker

fbnts
20-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Hi,

We have 3 Whirlpool K40 ice machines. Two are located in a beer cellar and are working fine, the other is behind a bar.

The one behind the bar is extremely slow to fill usually although occasionally it seems to work fine except that it keeps filling the ice bucket to a stage that its pilled right up to the top and all frozen into one lump.

Today I opened the lid to see if there was any obvious problem and noticed that the slab of ice was really thick and had made contact wth the water pipe and spray nozzles, preventing it from being released.

Is there a simple fix?

Tom

cadwaladr
20-03-2010, 09:57 PM
sounds like the bin stat,check the condensor is clean also.

richelli
20-03-2010, 10:27 PM
As regards the slower production the condensor, which is the piece like a car radiator at the back with the fan in front could need a clean, its probably got a carpet of dust on it.

As regards you lifting the top off and the ice being up to the water jets, It could be that the ice thickness stat is not sensing the ice thickness and the machine is making the slabs to thick. If it has just started doing this it could be that it needs a new ice thickness stat. Should be a simple job for any local refrigeration engineer.

Or as cadwaladr said if the slab is stuck because the bin is so full the ice cant drop anywhere you need a new bin stat.

paul thompson
20-03-2010, 10:44 PM
:D
sounds like the bin stat,check the condensor is clean also.
:Dgood sound advice :D:D

fbnts
22-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the replies, I shall check the condensor as it is in a busy bar so there is a huge amount of dust in the air.

Also, it looks like it may be both the stats that are faulty as its making the ice too thick and then, if given chance, it doesn't stop making ice when the bin is full.

Tom

coolhibby1875
22-03-2010, 02:08 PM
i think ou will find the ice thickness stat is faulty, then make sure you set the bin stat towards the sun setting

fbnts
23-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Just an update and another issues!

After cleaning the carpet from the condensor it started making more ice, although the thickness was turned right down it still made very thick cubes, that I can live with, at least its making them now.

That was all going good until yesterday morning. I have come in and the power to the machine was off. The fuse supply had gone so I reset the breaker and it fired up for a few seconds until the condensor kicked in and then it throws the fuse out.

Long story short, I have narrowed it down the the little black box attached to the pipe at the back of the condensor which I assume is the hot gas solenoid. With this disconnected it works fine and the compressor kicks in. I have switched it all off as I don't want it to cause further damage with out this connected.

Am I right in my theory that this part has gone, and it is in fact the hot gas solenoid and if so, wheres the best place to get a replacement from?

Tom

Gingerair
23-03-2010, 11:16 PM
http://www.whirlpoolk40.com/#/home/4531731977

http://www.whirlpoolparts.co.uk/?gclid=CKSCle_-z6ACFQRslAodYUsUzg

or try pentland

Think just the coil on it's lonesome is over £35...ouch !!..but i maybe wrong... :D