PDA

View Full Version : "I wanna be a tech... PLEASE HELP"

cramirez
09-03-2010, 10:15 PM
My boyfriend has a newly found interest in becoming a tech. I am researching the industry for him.

Can anyone tell me what is Step 1?
Whats the best advise from all the professionalS out there?How should he approach certification, schooling, exam, employment?Is RETA the source?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly apprecciated.
As he is looking to earn more $ for a better quality of life for himself and his family.

cool runings
09-03-2010, 10:50 PM
My boyfriend has a newly found interest in becoming a tech. I am researching the industry for him.

Can anyone tell me what is Step 1?
Whats the best advise from all the professionalS out there?How should he approach certification, schooling, exam, employment?Is RETA the source?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly apprecciated.
As he is looking to earn more $ for a better quality of life for himself and his family.

No disrespect to you but your boyfriend should be doing this research.

He wants the job, don't he??

Cool runnings.

Magoo
10-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Hi cramiez.
good on you for trying to get boy friend a career.
He will have to do the hard yards before the big dollars roll in.
I am not sure of the USA system, but start with offering to work free of charge with a tech., on the basis of further training and paid employment. at least he will get a feel for the industry as such.
magoo

sefuss
28-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Find local companies and ring/write to them explaining his situation.
or find colleges that offer such training and contact them.

But here in the UK its a 4 year course before you get fully qualified and as previous people have said ..... the money doesnt come until the 4 years is up, even then you are only put on an improvers wage, however if he is good and learns his trade he can move on to another company and chase the money a bit better.
But as cool runnings says..... he should be doing this not you.
best of luck

grasschopper10
04-04-2010, 06:35 AM
start off workin w a tech....get a feel for the type of work that is involved then go to school.....workin in the field before school i think gives a person a better understanding of why and how things work the way they do....as far as the exams needed to be a tech, the school should offer it....my school here in the u.s. was a 3 semester program and has gave me a good basis to build on.....

Toosh
04-04-2010, 09:52 PM
start off workin w a tech....get a feel for the type of work that is involved then go to school.....workin in the field before school i think gives a person a better understanding of why and how things work the way they do....as far as the exams needed to be a tech, the school should offer it....my school here in the u.s. was a 3 semester program and has gave me a good basis to build on.....

Wasting your time she made 1 post and has never been back