PDA

View Full Version : Thermomax Coltrec RCX100 Query

Jonnytwocats
26-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi

I have recently taken over a premises with a Thermomax walk in Chill and am trying to problem solve an issue to see whether paying and engineer call out will resolve the issue.

The unit worked very well with no problems at all since taking over - couple of months.

Today it alarmed out and rose to a temperature of 12oc. and the Fans stopped.

The Unit is in Refridgeration Mode and the panel shows no Sensor Faults.

When I manually put the unit into Defrost it automatically goes back in to refrigeration mode (I assume that this is good as it recognises there is no defrost required)

The two probes are registering the same temperature as an independant thermometer which I have put in the Room.

I unplugged the evaporator sensor and the fans started to work.

I plugged the evaporator sensor back in and the fans stopped.

The rest of the panal settings have not been changed but have been checked by me while refering to the manual.

A point to note is that even if I put the room temperature to 0 or lower it will not cool the room below 12oc.

Does anyone have any advice?

Does anyone think this is cost effectively worth trying to resolve or does it sound expensive and I should turn it in to a Drystore room instead?

PS the forum has been great as the Seller could not help re manuals or troubleshooting to get me this far.

Jonny

cadwaladr
26-02-2010, 07:22 PM
one of the probes should be in the evap i put the probe near the top in the fins ie in the corner this is the evap probe,its easy to identify switch it on and hold one probe if the display doesnt rise you have the evap ifit does you have the room probe,maybe the fan start temperature is set low,does the evap frost up when its been on for 10 minutes,could be a gas prob

chad
26-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Do you here the solenoid opening when switching on?

Jonnytwocats
26-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks for replying.

One of the probes is in the Evap. and one is in the room. Both of them appear to be operating correctly as I have held them both as you suggested:-

The one in the room rose in temperature on the panal when looking at room temperature.

The one that was/is in the evap rose in temperature on the panal when looking at Evap.

The Evap does not Frost up at all when running.

I have changed the Fan start Temperature to a high temperature, and the do start and run, however the room will not cool below 12oc at all.

Out of interest I changed the Room Set Temperature to -10oc, the Fan start temperature to 13oc and whilst the fans started it still would not chill below 12oc for any sustained time - it did get to 10oc then rose again.

Does this info help?

Chad hi - thanks for replying too - Regarding the Solenoid - What does this mean?

Jonny - and thanks for replying

cadwaladr
26-02-2010, 08:13 PM
sounds like you may be out of gas,is there a sight glass fitted it will be situated downstream from the condensor on the smaller of the pipes going to evap,does the pipe from the comp to cond feel hot when running BE CAREFUL IT COULD BE VERY HOT! if its cool its a gas prob

chad
26-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Oh! Man!!!!

monkey spanners
26-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Needs looking at by an engineer if you want it fixed, but only you know how much you need the room and if its worth paying for.
(just check any fuses and that the switch is on for the compressor, kids have been known to turn these off)

Jonnytwocats
27-02-2010, 08:08 PM
sounds like you may be out of gas,is there a sight glass fitted it will be situated downstream from the condensor on the smaller of the pipes going to evap,does the pipe from the comp to cond feel hot when running BE CAREFUL IT COULD BE VERY HOT! if its cool its a gas prob its cold so i guess an engineer will be worthwhile.? or could there be more sinister issues?

thanks to everyone for your help.

j

cadwaladr
28-02-2010, 09:46 PM
is the condensor fan running,is the compressor making any kind of noise,if not check its not tripped on the h/p switch shpuld be located near compressor there should be a reset button on the top of it.

Jonnytwocats
01-03-2010, 12:58 PM
thanks for your reply.

the reset button starts everything back up but cuts off again.

the seeing eye is slightly yellow but no liquid - does this mean out of gas? should it be like a lighter?

the condensor and comp make no noise till you hit the reset then like i say it shuts off again.

thanks
j

coolhibby1875
01-03-2010, 02:38 PM
the reset button is a saftey button and its doing what its suposed to do! either the condenser is choked and needs cleaned or the condenser fan motor is seized either way call out a engineer.

coolhibby1875
01-03-2010, 02:39 PM
where about in scotland are you?

coolhibby1875
01-03-2010, 02:43 PM
after reading the first post again, its amazing the amount of people say to you, that i have adjusted something colder yet it still makes no diffrence.
what a coincidence if its not getting colder than 12 its not going to get to 0 degrees :)

Jonnytwocats
01-03-2010, 03:34 PM
youre correct. i guess i was trying to see if its was the probe, and by making it colder would it get to the correct temp. but again i put a seperate thermometer in to check.

btw Dunfermline.

thanks for your reply.
j

coolhibby1875
01-03-2010, 04:00 PM
pm me if you want someone to have a look for you i could arrange that!

Jonnytwocats
03-03-2010, 08:14 PM
thank you for the offer - I will certainly keep you in mind for future needs.

An engineer has already attended and resolved it for me.

The issue was the Solenoid plug needed replaced and a top up of gas.

I really appreciate everyone who participated in this forum topic and your advice - sincerely - as it allowed me to understand and show a bit of confidence at what I had checked.

Probably an engineers worst nightmare, but it saved me time investigating "I think".

Thanks for your support.

Jonny