PDA

View Full Version : English ancestory

powell
17-02-2010, 04:05 AM
I've been working on my family tree and I've finally traced someone to England.

My 8th great-grandfather was William Perdue (Perdieu) (Pardue) born 1572 in Closworth England.

So tell me my English friends, do I come from great wealth in the land of knights and kings or..........log cabins and farming, just like here in the USA.

frank
17-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Hi Powell

Here's a couple of links to Closworth which is a small town in Somerset, on the border with Dorset - quite a nice part of England.....mind you, they talk with a strange accent down there :D

http://www.francisfrith.com/closworth/
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SOM/Closworth/index.html
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl=en&source=hp&oq=closworth&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=closworth+somerset&fb=1&gl=uk&ftid=0x48724204451b36af:0xfb8dc638cd98577c&ei=jaV7S6zPHZGI0wTTvpWuBQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAoQ8gEwAA

chemi-cool
17-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I've been working on my family tree and I've finally traced someone to England.

My 8th great-grandfather was William Perdue (Perdieu) (Pardue) born 1572 in Closworth England.

So tell me my English friends, do I come from great wealth in the land of knights and kings or..........log cabins and farming, just like here in the USA.

My X half came from England. I remember going to the Historical Research Centre in London to find my children family tree, Very helpful people. Traced back to 1400 AC, apparently they came from Scandinavia...Vikings..

No wonder Two of my daughters are 185 CM tall....;)

Have a go at it, you face some surprises....

Gary
17-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Interesting stuff.

My father emigrated from Wigan, Lancashire where he was a coal miner. We traced the family tree back to northern Wales, where it all became very vague... seems Lloyd is an extremely common surname in Wales.

There is a family tale handed down about a Duke who disowned his two sons a few hundred years ago and a family estate called "Greystone", all of which eventually reverted to the crown. Who knows if any of this is true or if such an estate ever existed. :)

As a small boy, my dad's cousin related the story to me and she insisted that every word of it was true.

Brian_UK
17-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Hi Powell

Here's a couple of links to Closworth which is a small town in Somerset, on the border with Dorset - quite a nice part of England.....mind you, they talk with a strange accent down there :DOI, watch it.

Or I'll get the Cornwall lads up here drectly to sort you out, if we can find our way past Brissol. ;)

Quality
17-02-2010, 07:16 PM
I have thought that ancestory is very interesting - but I`m yet to reach 50 to be to concerned about it:p

only joking guys :)

powell
18-02-2010, 02:20 AM
Hi Powell
Here's a couple of links to Closworth which is a small town in Somerset, on the border with Dorset - quite a nice part of England

Thanks for the links Frank.

I must say that I am a little confused with your Subdivisions of Regions, Counties, Parishies, Villages and Districts.

Let's see, Closworth is a village and civil parish in Somerset England with a population of 192. Kinda like a community here in the states?

I should be able to find a living relative if they all hung around a few hundred years.:D

.....mind you, they talk with a strange accent down there.

That's okay, I 'm originally from Chattanooga Tennessee. Everybody says that I speak in a totally different dialect of the Queens English compared to the rest of the USA.:eek:

powell
18-02-2010, 03:22 AM
I have thought that ancestory is very interesting - but I`m yet to reach 50 to be to concerned about it

only joking guys

Actually I'm only 23, My profile age is bogus so It'll seem like I'm more intelligent.:D