PDA

View Full Version : Occasional use commercial ice machine

Catmandu
16-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Hello, and thanks for the forum. I like to go to the experts for advice, and you all seem to be it!

I am a decision maker in a church, and also the resident mechanic when it comes to equipment. We had a small, 'residential,' stand-alone ice machine that served us well for many years, but is now dead. We have been using our commercial kitchen more and more recently (both internally and via rental), and wonder if a commercial machine would suit our needs.

Full-up kitchen usage averages once a week, with an associated ice requirement of 200 lbs of ice or so. To date, we have simply purchased bagged ice to supplement our small machine, but that involves a lot of volunteer logistical support.

The discussions have led us to the fact that if we could come up with a $2500 piece of equipment that could be efficient (considering both power usage and heat generation) given our occasional use, that might be the way to go. But my mechanical mind is wary of equipment that 'sits' too much. I certainly don't need more repair requests.

Is there a beast that would be suitable to our needs?

Magoo
16-01-2010, 02:20 AM
Best advise is cut a deal with local ice supplier.
Bigger bags are cheaper.
For 90 Kgs.,once a week, you would be wasting your time considering buying an ice maker, given the cost and running cost, and health and safety enviroment requirements, cleaning and water filtration costs.
Buy it, is best advise.

lowcool
19-01-2010, 04:54 AM
if the machine can pay for itself go for it,but if not in continual use as magoo stated you will have health concerns