PDA

View Full Version : Advice on renewing a compressor

desperado
02-01-2010, 01:35 PM
I have a Ariston fridge/freezer which is approx 4 years old and a repair man who looked at it last weekend said that the compressor was dead. My question is would it be worth spending the money to replace the compressor as its a lovely deluxe model but I don't know if it will be worth it as the f/f could pack up again a few months down the line?

Does anyone have experience and knowledge of compressors to answer this crucial question? The only guarantee I can get so far is 3 months?

monkey spanners
02-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Yours is a very simple question with a very complicated answer...

On bigger commercial equipment where it is easier to find out what made the compressor fail in the first place and make any necessary repair i'd advise a new compressor.

With the type of system you have, which is not designed to be easily repairable but to be cheap to make and nice to look at, as you say you could fit a new compressor only to find the capiliary is blocked which was what caused the last compressor to fail in the first place or such.

If it was mine i'd put a new compressor on it, but i wouldn't be paying any labour etc etc to do it.
In your case i think i'd be buying a new fridge, unless the old one is in a fitted kitchen and it would be difficult to get a replacement to fit the space.

coolhibby1875
05-01-2010, 01:52 PM
replace the whole freezer as monkey says there will almost certainly be something that caused the comp to fail.

FEISTY
06-01-2010, 04:28 AM
Not the way to welcome in the New Year, Desperado, but it always happens at the worst time. Being here in the U.S. your brand is not familiar to me, nor are the equipment warranties. Here we usually get 5 years on the compressor and 1 year on the other parts. You may want to check your paperwork to see if you are still covered. This warranty, of course, is only for equipment purchased brand new. Also a " good" serviceman would check the cap tube for problems...blow out with nitrogen...before connecting to new body. Once new equipment is past the compressor warranty, I usually ask the owner how much they really like their unit. The 5 year period is long enough for new models to appear and the owner wants something else !! Good luck. :D