PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen a 'dc inverter' split that has a conventional PSC cap?

paul_h
14-12-2009, 12:12 PM
I just installed a kelvinator inverter, it's just rebadged cheap stuff, but I needed it because I didn't want to run new piping up two storeys and it was the only 3.5kW unit with 1/4 x 1/2 piping.
Not a big deal here because we aren't responsible for follow ups or warranty on our installs. Even cheap stuff has a 5yr warranty with repairs farmed out to authorised service agents/contractors, and being kelvinator, it's not like they are going to disappear unlike most chinese sourced units.
But I opened up the unit and it had some sort of inverter circuitry, but also had a regular 45uF capacitor like conventional compressors did.
It did run like a inverter, I heard it change speed while I was there, but it was very very weird seeing it there for someone like me used to pana/fujitsu/mits/LG and daikin.

I don't have any manuals for the cheap kelvinators, aren't really looking for any, just more interested in if anyone could shed some light on this weird set up, maybe there's a kelvinator repair tech here.

TRASH101
14-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Hello Paul

Perhaps it is a phase chopper instead of a true inverter as that would still carry a conventional cap. wired as dol. Although I haven't seen them used for compressors before.

Robin
18-12-2009, 02:34 AM
The only caps in a DC Inverter are smoothing caps to clean up the DC. Most DC inverter compressors are 3 phase type with a vatying Hz rate to change the speed

Yuri B.
19-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Hello Paul. I really do not believe an invertor A/C can be "cheap" stuff. What tell el measurements? Strange idea, it cannot be some emergency back-up control of the compressor ? (in case the invertor failed, the motor being induction one, one just switch to the split-phase run of it. For inst for places where time on repair should be minimal)

nike123
20-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Paul, do you have electrical diagram?