PDA

View Full Version : Reciever/Drier Questions

Z2TT
29-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Hi,

So from what I have read other than filtering out moisture and acting as a filter for the system for dirt, the reciever/drier separates gas from liquid, and only lets the gas refrigerant flow passed and onto the TXV and holds back the liquid.

I have 2 questions.

1. Since when the refrigerant passes throught he condenser, heat is removed from it and as a result it turns from a gas into a liquid when it's cooled yes?, so why do you need a receiver/drier to separate gas from liquid, because isn't the refrigerant all liquid when it reaches the receiver anyway?

2. How does a receiver/drier separate gas from liquid, what physically happens inside to separate the gas from liquid?

Thanks.

Brian_UK
29-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Ah, you have the concept the wrong way around.

A receiver receives liquid from the condenser and only allows liquid to move onwards to the TXV.

Any vapour is held at the top of the receiver.

It does this by having the outlet at the bottom or a dip tube if taken from the top.

TXVs only work properly when fed with liquid.

System Layout
http://www.vehicool.co.uk/acsystem.html

More images, the left hand picture shows an accumulator which feeds vapour back to the compressor and the righthand one shows a receiver/drier.
http://www.autoacsystems.com/_faqs/detail/compressor.html

Z2TT
29-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks,

I thought that all the refrigerant after the condenser would be liquid anyway? why would some gas be leftover?

Thanks.

cadwaladr
29-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks,

I thought that all the refrigerant after the condenser would be liquid anyway? why would some gas be leftover?

Thanks.me thinks you need to know some basics,its a pity years ago i used to have a small pocket book from tk it was very informative,and would have helped maybe someone else can post one.

Brian_UK
29-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks,

Thanks.
It all depends on pressures and flows but also when the system stops on a satisfied temperature pressures will equalise and the liquid will begin to boil off as the pressure drops.

Magoo
29-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Z2TT.
For crying out load , take car air-con to a reputible service provider and get it sorted out, will say your self a lot of greif.
Plus don not use aircon if driving at 160kmph, it will destroy itself.

Z2TT
01-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Z2TT.
For crying out load , take car air-con to a reputible service provider and get it sorted out, will say your self a lot of greif.

My Car A/C is working, this thread has nothing to do with my car a/c not working.

And last time I took my car to reputable place, They forgot to tighten a fitting and all the gas leaked out, caused me a lot of grief.

desA
01-12-2009, 02:35 PM

Oh, dear... now you tell me. :eek:

whiteair
03-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes i know the booklet you mean, but alas no more.