PDA

View Full Version : Aermec Chiller fault

Kirky
18-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Hi all

Having some problems with an Aermec chiller. Basically was called to an Aermec chiller cooling the water pumped through a small AHU as part of a close control humidity and temp system. The chiller had tripped out on LP and one of the condenser fans run capacitor had melted or broken away and was lay in the bottom of the panel. When I put my gauges on had 200 PSI on both the discharge and the suction. When the compressor runs the suction pressure drops off to below zero preventing the fans from running and tripping the unit on LP. Once the unit trips the pressure slowly equalises to 200 psi once again. Head of the compressor and the discharge gets red hot, have replaced the capacitor, checked the system charge which is correct. Was thinking there was a problem with flow around the evaporator but the water pump is running. Im thinking TEV faulty which would be a major pain to replace. Am I missing something else or do you think the TEV is the way to go. :eek:

thebigcheese
18-11-2009, 07:56 PM
if uve definatly got flow (propbly has flow switches anyway) then i would check the tev

Grizzly
18-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Hi Kirky.
TEV is a s good a place to start as any!
What type of TEV have you got?
For that matter what chiller is it?
Also there are other things that can cause low suction.
Choked liquid strainer.
moisture in the system
Is there sufficient water flow through the evap?
If it is a shell and tube?
Are the Tubes damaged in the evap?

Also you as you don't say what Comps you have.
For their type would you expect the system pressures to balance out to 200psi.
On some systems this would lead me to looking at the compressor valve plate wear!
Certainly the hot comp head/s are an issue
Grizzly

Kirky
05-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Ive been working away for a while but just to let peeps know I ended up changing the TEV, Line strainer and solenoid valve and unit is running cheersw for your help