PDA

View Full Version : desperate measures to keep engineers

coolhibby1875
16-11-2009, 05:20 PM
hi all i have a few friends that work for a company up here in scotland which are based in west lothian, this company like every other company out there have to get there engineers through the city and guilds tests, however before they sit the exam they are said to be made to sign paperwork saying that if they leave within 12 months they would be docked £500 from thier final salary. Whilst i agree that companies must be spending a fortune getting there guys this certification there is no need for this, i couldnt believe that my friends agreed and signed this, i think the management there should ashamed of themselfs using such tactics to scare employees from moving on

Brian_UK
16-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Maybe so, but I suppose they have to consider whether they are training staff who are liable to leave soon afterwards.

Mind you, if I had started working for the company with a safe handling ticket then I would expect the firm to maintain it without penalty.

Quality
16-11-2009, 06:51 PM
I see nothing wrong in this, after all its only £500 and the engineers probably got paid more than this gain the certification and would certainly cost more

coolhibby1875
16-11-2009, 07:04 PM
you know what your right man its only £500 I TAKE IT ALL BACK!

CJG21
17-11-2009, 02:25 PM
You willing to name and shame lol. I agree with the company, they could be shelling out a lot of money to get very little back

taz24
17-11-2009, 02:39 PM
You willing to name and shame lol. I agree with the company, they could be shelling out a lot of money to get very little back

Many companies do it now.

It's not just a fridge thing it is a buissness thing.
Engineers are very expensive but they are the ones that earn the company the money.
It is a way of minimising the outlay for the company.

The trouble is, if the guys refuse then would there time at the company come to an end?
Not a bad thing you might think but the next company may require the engineer to sign
somthing as well and where will that leave them?

Its a way of getting loyalty from the staff!!!

taz.

coolhibby1875
17-11-2009, 04:16 PM
i have many friends who work with many diff companies and i have never heard of this lets take the likes of WR,SPACE,PROJECT 1ST,CITY,HONEYWELL and KB these companies must have 300 plus each to get through this , Imagine the bills these companies face and lets be hohnest how many engineers show loyalty towards them.

cjg21 i take it you work for yourself? if so i sympithise that you are being forced to get yourself through at your expense.

Brian_UK
17-11-2009, 11:26 PM
It is a bit of a double edged sword though.

If you don't like it you could perhaps move on to another firm but the other firm won't employ you because you don't have your ticket.

A bit of care needs to be taken and overall it shouldn't make that much difference.

Gary
17-11-2009, 11:40 PM
This argument has been going on forever:

What happens if you train them and they leave?

What happens if you don't train them and they stay?

taz24
18-11-2009, 10:32 AM
i have many friends who work with many diff companies and i have never heard of this lets take the likes of WR,SPACE,PROJECT 1ST,CITY,HONEYWELL and KB these companies must have 300 plus each to get through this , Imagine the bills these companies face and lets be hohnest how many engineers show loyalty towards them.

cjg21 i take it you work for yourself? if so i sympithise that you are being forced to get yourself through at your expense.

I can't say for the others but CITY and HONEYWELL do use somthing like this agreement, somtimes its just not enforced...
(read the small print of your contract. Most large companies have it written in already).

taz.

FreezerGeezer
18-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Around here companies expect you to fund all your licences! Still, you can claim all the costs on your tax return. But no wonder the industry complains it's short of techs. :P

Clk320_Greg
18-11-2009, 12:59 PM
it happens in all industried weather its a HGV licence or SIA badge.

How can a firm be expected to pay out with the potential of looseing out?

I dont see a problem with the arrangement!