PDA

View Full Version : oil problems please help

Supertech87
12-11-2009, 03:06 AM
Got a rack with only one compressor operating has oil line from seperator hot reservoir hot and ocv line hot the ocv valve is venting the excess pressure. My oil regulator is also hot maintains a good level reservoir filling with oil dropped the seperator and changed the float assembly precharged it before start up but almost immidiately fills reservoir. Compressor goes off on ofc within a week oil level drops and I can see foam in regulator. Changed regulator because it was constantly letting pressure in but I think the discharge gas is taking it out. I believe its a pumper but not sure any test I can do or did I miss something.

Magoo
12-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Hi supertech.
What is suction superheat at compressor, sounds like saturating too hard and carrying oil over, oil is also too cold topping up compressor sump.
Is compressor noisy while running.

bill1983
12-11-2009, 06:51 PM
what type of oil regulator is it mechanical or electronic? does it have a sightglass on the regulator or comp body and can you see oil coming from the separator? if it is passing discharge pressure then it means the regulator is open and the seperator is empty of oil.
so, as magoo says what is taking the oil out of the separator? is the discharge too cold and condensing in the seperator because of a low ambient causing the resulting liquid to foam the oil and carry it out. this could also be because the oil is being taken out of the compressor too quickly again because of liquid, but this time because of low superheat or liquid returning to the comporessor.
or is the system outside with no heating system to prevent the oil foaming due to low ambient conditions. compressor should have a crankcase heater, and possibly the separator as well, depending on the ambient temperature.
get back to us with answers to these questions and we can help you more.

hd88
13-11-2009, 03:58 AM
that foam is liquid refrigerant, and it will wash out your oil at start up. discharge line temp will tell if you are flooding the crankcase along with superheat. sounds like they are low.

Supertech87
11-12-2009, 12:34 AM
sorry it took me so long to log back on it is a mechanical Henry oil regulator. Discharge line is hot and maintains at 220 head pressure compressor superheat at 15 degrees. Compressor not noisy while running and drawing the stamped amperage on the dataplate. oil resernoir still hot and fills constantly. changed out the regulator again no more foaming at the sight glass on the regulator or the one on the compressor . is there a good test to perform to see if the compressor is a "pumper"

Coolest Sparky
18-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Is there a valve that lowers the oil pressure to 1.5 bar over suction? this maybe be an in line valve or from the oil resivoir in to the suction line. If this is faulty it would make your oil pot fail and stick open.