PDA

View Full Version : Part Wound Compressor

borodave1973
30-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi does anyone have a basic wiring diagram for a part wound compressor? The one in question I am looking at is in an old Trane chiller and we cannot get either contactor to pull in!

Thanks for any help:)

nike123
30-09-2009, 05:04 PM
http://www.joliettech.com/part_winding_start.htm

http://www.abb-control.com/pdf/catalog/ac1000/3.82.pdf

goshen
30-09-2009, 05:41 PM
The one in question I am looking at is in an old Trane chiller and we cannot get either contactor to pull in!

hi it seems like u have a control problem old trane receproicating units had a thermostat and a timer that started the first contactor and energised the timer to start the second contactor
when we had problemes with these units we usualy united the contactores to start together or replaced them with a soft starter.

nike123
30-09-2009, 05:52 PM
If both contactors doesnt pull, it is usually problem with overload relays.

goshen
30-09-2009, 06:01 PM

hi nike
could very well be o.l relay
if my memory is correct these old trane units had a red fault light that went on when a o.l relay "acted up "or freez protector

nike123
30-09-2009, 06:21 PM

hi nike
could very well be o.l relay
if my memory is correct these old trane units had a red fault light that went on when a o.l relay "acted up "or freez protector

It does not need to be overload relay acted. It could be bad contact on control side or some loose wire in that part of control circuit.

goshen
30-09-2009, 06:32 PM
hi it could be anything i was hoping the original poster would give us more info instead of us speculating here !!!

centrecipew
30-09-2009, 06:45 PM
What is the model number of the machine you are working on? Send us your email. I will forward the applicable wiring diagram on to you, if I have one.

GHAZ
30-09-2009, 09:51 PM
hi borodave just curious to why you need compressor wiring diagram ,if the contactors are not pulling in. because trane use different recipe compressors and there terminal plate wiring is a bit different,i.e 40hp t0 60 hp R body has 1,7,8,2,9,3. The m body has 7,1,2,8,9,3. in a single line on the terminal plate looking from suction side service valve. the bigger tranes i,e 75hp to 100hp are standard 1,2,3, on top and 7,8,9, on bottom

borodave1973
01-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks for all your tips could be a control problem but the stat seems to turn the fan on and off so thats ok doesnt appear to have an overload relay and all the red fault lights are off. Re the wiring diagram have never come across this type of starter before and just wanted to familarise myself with how it should work....

The Model number is CSCG102M if thats any help

D.D.KORANNE
15-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Part wound motors are typically wound 50:50 ; some manufacturers offer 66:33 windings . You need to start first winding & within one second another part must be switched on . Check for timer

goshen
15-10-2009, 05:15 PM
hi as said his initial problem was that niether contactor worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FreezerGeezer
16-10-2009, 10:25 AM
I'd have thought that if the contactors aren't pulling in, it's more likely a controls problem than a compressor winding fault. Reason being there's only the klixons in the windings, but in the rest of the control circuit there's a whole variety of safeties.

goshen
16-10-2009, 12:42 PM
I'd have thought that if the contactors aren't pulling in, it's more likely a controls problem than a compressor winding fault. Reason being there's only the klixons in the windings, but in the rest of the control circuit there's a whole variety of safeties.

couldnt agree more;)

Sledge
20-10-2009, 09:06 PM
If you are interested in motors and how they work, check out Rosenbergs book "electric motor repair". For electric motor control check out Hermans "Electric motor control"

beida-k
17-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Hi bmb,Thanks, unfortunately that bit I know, which was why the compressor was changed in the first place. In my first post youll note that I said the system is fully gassed. Have replaced the compressor again with a new one and seems to be ok at the moment.

Brian_UK
18-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Hi bmb,Thanks, unfortunately that bit I know, which was why the compressor was changed in the first place. In my first post youll note that I said the system is fully gassed. Have replaced the compressor again with a new one and seems to be ok at the moment.As this is only your second post on the forum, which you joined yesterday, would you please explain the above statement. :off topic:

Mick Beeby
06-12-2009, 10:53 PM
I always found the best way to check motors and their circuits was diss the motor ends from the starters short the controls out ie Hp Lp and stat klixons if fitted in control circuit check control fuse and don,t forget the neutral,with every control made the starters should pull in if not check all control connextions on lead starter(doing it this way you wont damage the motor)

nike123
07-12-2009, 09:39 PM
I always found the best way to check motors and their circuits was diss the motor ends from the starters short the controls out ie Hp Lp and stat klixons if fitted in control circuit check control fuse and don,t forget the neutral,with every control made the starters should pull in if not check all control connextions on lead starter(doing it this way you wont damage the motor)

Sorry, but your description is not clear for me (I am not local, I am not native English speaker, and I need few more punctuations to fully understand your reply).
Could you be so kind to elaborate that little more?