PDA

View Full Version : Liebherr biofresh fridge freezing up

jimbo42
14-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi - we have a Liebherr biofresh fridge purchased in 2001 (I don't know model number and there is no plate on the fridge, but it has a biofresh fridge on top and a freezer below).

In about 2005 the bio-fresh section started to freeze up occasionally. We had trouble finding an engineer but eventually found someone - but he turned out to be a total waste of space - I just wish he'd been honest and said he knew nothing about Liebherr's and not wasted nearly a year.

We eventually found someone else who was more sensible but still couldn't trace the fault - so as a last measure he cut the wire to the door sensor - he thought that might have failed leading to the fan being permanently off. This did seem to fix the problem for a day - but the fault then returned. He said he'd checked out with the Liebherr technical support people and they couldn't help.

For the last 4 years we've not been able to use the top bio-fresh section.

Rather than throw it out, I decided to have a good look at it myself yesterday. Symptoms are as follows:

twin fans never on (tried this with the door sensor wires shorted out and with them isolated)
as a result there is a wide temperature fluctuation - the floor of the bio-fresh section being about minus 15 degrees
or control unit circuit board has failed – possible I suppose, but no other faults. Does firmware on these ever need refreshing?

My diagnosis is:

either both fans have failed (unlikely - why would both go together and why was fault originally intermittent)
or there is a faulty/welded relay (more likely - quite likely to be intermittent when the fault first developed.
or there is a processor/firmware fault

By the way I've lost all the original paperwork and there is no "Plate" on the inside left of the fridge where the Liebherr site says it should be - presumably mine's too old). If it helps the nos inside the control box are:
611 5000
D 031130
25/5/2001

Great fridge when it works but really disappointing that Liebherr have a useless maintenance network.

However I need help

Does anyone know a competent Liebherr engineer who operates in the mid-Sussex area

Jim

tony randall
17-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Authorised Liebherr Service for Hampshire, Dorset,Wiltshire and West Sussex.
Randall Refrigeration 02380 738549
Based in Southampton.

tony randall
17-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Jim, the part number given relates to the panel housing.
If the plate is not visable on the left hand side wall in the fridge (salad crisper has to be removed ) it could be in the freezer again left hand side, pull out drawers completely. In some cases a sticker was placed at the rear of the unit on the leading edge at floor level. Regards,
Tony.
You can E-mail me on randallfridge.soton@ntlworld.com.