PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Copeland reciever

monkey spanners
25-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Am partway through installing a secondhand ice builder and two ZB56 Scroll units.

The vertical recievers on both units have a blanking cap on the top opposite the liquid line rotalock. Both these caps leaked under testing with ofn, the only other one of these blanking caps i have seen leak in the past had a rotalock style seat and gasket under it but these two appear to have a 7/8" flare :rolleyes: the blanking cap being flat internally, it used a rubber o ring as a seal. There is a taper thread in the centre of the connection which i presumed is for a presure relief valve.

So i got a pair of 1/2" mpt plugs from the whole salers and thread sealered them in. Pressure tested them and got to about 12 bar before a pop was heard and visible bubbles seen around the plugs in the sealant, i wonder if they are the wrong threads? I got 1/2" mpt as this is what the relief valves are i think.

Anybody else had trouble with these? :eek:
Anybody had any luck in getting the correct o rings from the wholesalers :confused:
Anybody seen my wire brush? :D

Jon :(

taz24
25-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Am partway through installing a secondhand ice builder and two ZB56 Scroll units.

The vertical recievers on both units have a blanking cap on the top opposite the liquid line rotalock. Both these caps leaked under testing with ofn, the only other one of these blanking caps i have seen leak in the past had a rotalock style seat and gasket under it but these two appear to have a 7/8" flare :rolleyes: the blanking cap being flat internally, it used a rubber o ring as a seal. There is a taper thread in the centre of the connection which i presumed is for a presure relief valve.

So i got a pair of 1/2" mpt plugs from the whole salers and thread sealered them in. Pressure tested them and got to about 12 bar before a pop was heard and visible bubbles seen around the plugs in the sealant, i wonder if they are the wrong threads? I got 1/2" mpt as this is what the relief valves are i think.

Anybody else had trouble with these? :eek:
Anybody had any luck in getting the correct o rings from the wholesalers :confused:
Anybody seen my wire brush? :D

Jon :(

Would 7/8 flare nuts with bonnets not work.
I have seen the ones you are on about but have never had a problem with them so I can't really comment.

Cheers taz.

chemi-cool
25-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I had a similar problem in the past, welded a piece of round steel and no more leaks.

Your wire brush fell behind the toolbox.....;)

monkey spanners
25-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Cheers guys, will have to get a 7/8" nut to find out if the external threads are the same.

I did think about welding or silver soldering the plugs in but i am not sure with people getting sued for everything these days.

If i can't find something to seal them they will have to pay out for two new receivers.

Cheers Chemi, i have been looking for that brush all week :D

Jon

al
25-07-2009, 08:09 PM
monkey

Had many probs with these when we first used them, contacting copeland and getting the correct speced nipple and using locktite solved the problems.

also had some that would be nitrogen tight but leak under 404a when running:rolleyes:

all sorted now though, give lilyapper a shout he may have the thread size?

al

monkey spanners
25-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Cheers Al,

Nice to know its not just me having a problem with these.

Jon