PDA

View Full Version : Testing pressure and checking for leaks

grindrx
21-07-2009, 10:41 PM
I have a chigo 12000btu mini split ac unit which flashes e4 after running for about 30minutes. After looking at their site and reading the minimal information available for this unit on the web, I believe it has to be a pressure problem.

My question is this: what tool would I need to check the pressure of this unit, and where would be a cheap place to grab one.

It needs to be 410a/2. 54lbs

Also what is the best way to check for leaks?

Thank you and help and input would be greatly appreciated.

chubb
21-07-2009, 11:07 PM
My question is this: what tool would I need to check the pressure of this unit, and where would be a cheap place to grab one.

It needs to be 410a/2. 54lbs

You need service gauges for 410a
2.54lbs would be the total weight of the charge not the system operating pressure(s).
You can leak check with a refrigerant leak detector or soap bubbles. If there is a leak you will see traces of oil around the leak.

grindrx
21-07-2009, 11:55 PM
2.54lbs would be the total weight of the charge not the system operating pressure(s).

Thanks for the reply! I want to fully understand before I make any sudden moves...

So would the service gauges measure the weight of the charge, the operating pressures, or both?

Here is the information I found on what my error code means:

1、 Check whether the winding resistance and
operation current of the compressor are normal.
2、Check whether the high and low pressure is normal
when the unit is running.
3、Check (whether the coil pipe sensor is normal)
whether the contact of the inserter on the circuit
board is well, the coil pipe temperature sensor is
fixed, the evaporation of the indoor unit is well,
the key is to check the evaporator temperature
detected by the coil pipe temperature sensor has
reached the cooling or heating temperature.
4、Check whether the surface of the condenser is too
dirty, it should be cleaned when it is too dirty.
5、Check whether the capacitance of the outdoor motor
and the fan is damaged, it should be replaced when
it is damaged.
6、If the above items are normal, the electric control
board should be replaced.

So supposedly there are 6 things to trouble shoot, I have already done 6, got a new one from the manufacturer thinking that it was the problem. The system is brand new so I think that cancels out 4 since the entire unit is spotless.

So I have left 1,2,3 and 5...before I go checking pressure or weight should I try one of these first?

marc5180
31-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Hi, If you think it is a pressure problem then make sure both indoor and outdoor coils are clean because this can effect the pressures.

If it is a pressure problem, then you need to connect your gauges if you don't have any or don't know how to use them then i suggest getting a refrigeration engineer to look at it for you, they should be able to diagnose the problem very quickly.