PDA

View Full Version : Crap happens !!

FEISTY
13-07-2009, 04:13 AM
Guess I thought sharing a familiar story would help me feel better. Stopped by regular parts house 15 minutes before closing time Weds. 7-08. 20 mins. later left with manager who locked up as we left. 15 feet outside shop door was a pile of broken glass and a missing passenger window. I found 6 - 1in. ball valves and two circuit boards on the ground. What I didn't find was my 50lb. pouch with...as we all have...every tool we need to live plus the " custom " tools we all make up to get the jobs done right. Lost 2 Fluke meters, new Brute Plus manifold 4 valve with 6ft hoses and ball valve ends. Add to that a new 7cfm pump...and please don't cry with me....a new set of Testo 1250 computer gauges. Anyway...it is a hard thing to swallow but , after 17 yrs. know it is only a matter of time. To add insult to injury, I have my " dream truck " sitting at the mechanic having all my special perks..air horns, strobe warning lights, computerized complete audio GPS dash unit, rear camera and the best alarm system money can buy. At least I will be ready for them the next time. The police couldn't understand why I was so calm after losing approx. 4700.00 in equipment. Oh yea...can't claim on insurance or won't be insured next year. Told them in a world where you get shot over not having a dollar in your pocket, I got off cheap. Supply company never blinked. Whatever I needed was handed to me over the counter with not even a signature. Just a pat on the back and a cold beer out of the private fridge. Catch up later was all that was said. So.....to finish....to the " pros " reading this, we all hurt a bit cause we all know it happens. To the " rookies " out there...remember YOU ARE NOT SAFE ANYWHERE !!! This would have shut down a small new guy. Make sure you bury the expensive stuff, keep the extra locks on no matter how much a pain in the ass it is to put em on...take em off. And most important....stay friends with your parts guys. They can sure make a bad day a lot better if they help put you back on the street. Contacted Tru Tools and informed them of theft in case the jerk doesn't know how to use the program manifold. By serial number they may be able to catch him. So...they are only tools...they can be replaced. You can't fix a gunshot wound as quickly. Be careful....be safe....be smart !!

Magoo
13-07-2009, 04:35 AM
Feisty, man that is so uncool, who with half a brain would steal a tradesmans tools, his source of income. A half plus is the suppliers support of fix us up when ever suits. The low lifes have no boundries.
I have been there, but not the extent that you have endured.
I have concidered a system, a bit like an alarm. BUT that disharges a burst of pure anhydrus ammonia. Open a door , smash a window. The culprate has a blast of shyte in the space. And back over the lowlife for good measure.

desA
13-07-2009, 05:33 AM
To the OP - so sorry to hear of your loss.

To the thieves - I hope you don't rest, or sleep easy until you make right... May your every waking hour be a literal living hell.

lowcool
13-07-2009, 10:11 AM
been bitten too feisty.best alarm attachment i saw is a vehicle movement switch,dont know how it worked but you couldnt remove a ladder from the roof or drag van onto a tilt trayyet it could rock in the wind fine,should have noted the maker when speaking to the sparky whose van i bumped into from the rear.

littleyapper
13-07-2009, 01:31 PM
To all fridge men/boys/girls.... Do not buy any tools from a dodgy source .... These scum wont be able to reconise the tools and if they find a buyer it will only encourage them....sorry for your loss feisty...

FEISTY
13-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks to all who either have been victims or just feel the same way as I do. If the tools were more important to them...good luck. I managed a parts house for 7 years and , here in Chicago, the season for break-ins was spring. Seems that was the time rookies who wanted to " earn the big buck like the owners "..if they only knew what insurance plus tools plus equipment plus vehicles cost..they only see the bottom line of the invoice and think it all goes in the pocket. These guys will steal from a family man tradesman to start up their own " business ". I can't count the mornings a guy would walk in with his head hanging and just put his hand out to get a pad and pen. You knew he was restocking his missing tools. The sad thing is most of the people stealing the tools don't have a clue what they are for. I have given an older but working manifold set to a kid starting out. On a jobsite, I'm the first one to let the other tradesmen know they can borrow whatever I have if it helps them. 99% of the time I get it all back...clean and working. If they break something, they offer cash on the spot to replace it. THAT'S WHY I'M PROUD OF THE TRADESMEN I MEET. DECENT..HONEST..HARD WORKING JOE'S WHO VALUE THE CHANCE TO HAVE A JOB. Again I repeat...ROOKIES...TREAT THE GUY NEXT TO YOU THE WAY YOU WOULD WANT TO BE TREATED !!!! Don't be surprised if it comes back to you. This won't break me or get me down. Just makes me more careful in the future. And I won't hesitate to help someone who needs it. Can't be afraid of your job to share information or help. I f someone out there is better than I am...he deserves the break. Sorry to get on a " soapbox " but am passionate about helping the other guy. I believe in the saying" WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND " Best to all out there !!!

US Iceman
13-07-2009, 04:54 PM
I've had my tools stolen twice. The last time was minor as all they got was my tool pouch with my broken-in tools. I hate breaking in new tools as they are tight and harder to use.

The first time they got a bunch of copper pipe + my meters + all of my hand tools.:mad:

I like magoo's idea for an alarm. Except I would give them a brief burst of liquid ammonia in the crotch. If that will not prevent theft, nothing will.:D

supra_84
14-07-2009, 07:57 PM
I know how you feel, Just had my van broken into, they stole all tools, yet they left the lengths of copper pipe in there. I dont think thieves realise the hassle when your tools go, some of them i had when i first started out.

Magoo
19-07-2009, 03:33 AM
US Iceman,
we should develop an eco friendly alarm deterent system, not so friendly to the low life section of society. A blast of ammonia in the groin of a female will have her dancing,[ moisty bits ] with a male person : hopefully sterolize the the low life and reduce the generational repeat syndrome.
This has marketable potential, the tree huggers will be happy, the cops will be delighted, the funeral directors will rub there hands, insurance companies will offer bonuses. This has huge potential.
OK joke.

Magoo
19-07-2009, 03:47 AM
Next idea,
Print labels that states " killer deterant gas system " warning them. Bright and obvoius stuck on van windows.
Get a label machine and print your own.
Hell I have had 4 laptop computers stolen out of my wagon, it is not the computer, but the stuff on it that really anoys me. Add the time taken to sort things out. [ grump ].
magoo