PDA

View Full Version : running 2 core sensor cable

sensor man
22-05-2009, 11:36 AM
greetings gentleman
advice required please... on a job running sensor cables eg supply air,ambient,return air, on coil, from a air con unit on a roof to a control panel in a plant room.
I know your not supposed to run it with your mains cable how ever if you have no other way but to go the same route as your mains is run on cable tray to your control panel is there any serious inplications if you do it that way /long term?
thank you in advance for your replys gentleman...

abet_meneses
22-05-2009, 12:25 PM
sensorman,

you are right that sensor cable should not be run with power lines.Static,distortion and in accuracy in transmitting signals from sensor to electronic modules will result to errors.

p_p
22-05-2009, 03:10 PM
If you use a good quality shielded cable you shoudn't have any problems.

PP

wandowski
22-05-2009, 05:02 PM
use screened cable,cost more but will do the job!

Brian_UK
22-05-2009, 11:09 PM
As they say, used screened cable but, please, only earth one end of the shield.

Eeram
30-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Agree with pp, wandowski and Brian. Get the fully screened cable, the one with the woven screen around the leads.

chillyblue
30-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Hi

Don't know weather this is correct but i got told standard PTC or NTC probes can be run using any old cable up to 1000mtrs as they measure a very large resisitance between deg's.
i've seen loads run in .75mm 3 core flex along side, wrapped around and on top of swa cables and never presented problems in years, they work fine.:confused:

P.S. this is probes used on temp controllers for Lae, elliwel, etc, etc

i'm not saying it's right, just what i've seen and been told

CB

SkyWalker
30-06-2009, 08:17 PM
as others say, we use CY cable 1.5mm (not sure what cy stands for :-P)if long runs, with the screened earthed at one end only.

lowcool
01-07-2009, 07:09 AM
as chillyblue says i agree given maximum distance recommended by manufacturers,but have had the rare occasion where interference was giving problems.shielded is definitely the way to go.

ICE/RUNNER
01-07-2009, 08:37 PM
greetings gentleman
advice required please... on a job running sensor cables eg supply air,ambient,return air, on coil, from a air con unit on a roof to a control panel in a plant room.
I know your not supposed to run it with your mains cable how ever if you have no other way but to go the same route as your mains is run on cable tray to your control panel is there any serious inplications if you do it that way /long term?
thank you in advance for your replys gentleman...

Hi

I would use a screened cable with the screen earthed at on end. I use this for all my sensors, saves a lot af problems later.

ice/runner