PDA

View Full Version : possible discharge valve fault symptoms?

sger9
23-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Hello all. First off, Id like to say, class site. Since joining I have been reading some of the posts and it has made my steep learning curve that little bit easier. My question for anyone out there that cares to answer is this. Im doing an exam tomorrow and one of the questions is to describe the symptoms of a system suffering from high side valve fault and low side valve fault. The low side valve fault is no prob. done and dusted. But Ive checked my notes and we dont seem to have covered that. (either that or my old age caught up with me and I dozed off) and Ive been lucky enough never to have came across it myself. Any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from anyone. Thanks again.

aawood1
23-04-2009, 01:07 PM
sger9, Low delivery gauge reading but with a high delivery superheat. As the gas in the cylinder is just passing in and out due to the broken delivery/ discharge valve. then the cylinder and piston just get hotter untill seizure.
Arthur

sger9
23-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks for that. makes sense when someone else says it. Head fried looking at computer screen for days on end:-)

Grizzly
23-04-2009, 06:16 PM
As above plus
1) High Suction normal s/heat.
2) Comp shut down on Oil Diff Switch.
(loss of oil from crankcase)
Also on some compressors the cylinder head temps can get quite hot.
Grizzly

US Iceman
23-04-2009, 06:41 PM
This is an area where the topic of superheat measurements are mandatory. Either suction or discharge!