PDA

View Full Version : Compressor not running - the diagnosis so far

merm
19-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Hello!

The other evening I heard a clicking sound every few minutes. Wifey said "that's been going on all day - can you figure out what's making that noise?"

Eventually we traced it to our Amana DRS2660BC. And discovered that our ice cream was quite soft!

The compressor was not running, and too warm to comfortably touch.

The clicking sound was from the klixon overload device built into the startup relay. Google this number to see it: 12555902

The compressor draws around 12.5A until the overload cuts it off.

I measured between 6 and 30 ohms between each pair of terminals on the compressor. It was hot, and the number was bouncing around a bit. There was no continuity to ground on any of the terminals.

Thinking that the compressor was probably okay, and that the problem was in the startup mechanism, I pulled the startup mechanism apart and found the PTC disk in one piece, but the plastic around it was discolored. It had been hot in there.

NOBODY in my area has one of these things. Grrr. I ordered online, it'll be here next week.

Today I visited some refrigerators at the town dump. None had the same setup as mine, so I grabbed a different style of PTC mechanism (WHP10097202), and a run capacitor that looks just like my original.

The PTC disk from the dump looks like brand new, and is now inside my original overload/relay housing.

I've tried the rebuilt PTC with both capacitors, but the result is the same: the compressor draws over 12A, doesn't start, and trips the overload after a few seconds.

The new overload/relay will be here in a few days. Is there anything else I can try in the mean time?

If that doesn't fix it, should I conclude that the compressor is dead?

Thanks very much!

merm
19-04-2009, 01:47 AM
Ugh, replying to my own post!

I've just dropped the original PTC disk (the one from the dump is behind the frige right now) underneath a 100W lightbulb in the lamp on my desk.

After about a minute, the lamp dims and goes out.

Sounds like the PTC was okay afterall!

amitsaxena
19-04-2009, 05:17 AM
Dear Merm,

As there is a problem during the starting hence you need not to change ur Overload, Its PTC.
Only One confirmation i want is as soon as you are starting your ref its compressor is tripping within 1~ min and again starting after around 15 ~20 min and tripping, If this is the phenomenon then chaging PTC will solve the purpose.

Thanks
Amit

merm
19-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi Amit.

Thanks for your reply.

My thinking was the same as yours, but now I feel that I've ruled out the startup components as the source of the problem.

The symptoms are as you describe: The overload trips after 10-15 seconds, then resets after 15-20 minutes.

I've tried a different PTC (the one scavenged from the town dump).

Also, I think that the lightbulb test demonstrated that my original PTC is functioning okay.

A factory-new overload/PTC device will be here in a couple of days. If that doesn't fix it, should I throw in the towel?

Thanks!

chilldis
19-04-2009, 01:31 PM
how old is this unit? have you checked the supply voltage?

merm
19-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi Chilldis. Thank you for your reply!

The house was built in 2004 or 2005. I assume the fridge is the same vintage.

...Is the issue there that the thermostat might not be switching things all of the way on?

I just checked the voltage in the following places:

at the wall: 120.5V

And at the start/overload unit, with the compressor and run capacitor disconnected:

input: 120.1V
common/run terminals: 120.1V
common/start terminals: 120.1V

I'm still using the original klixon, the original PTC housing, and the PTC wafer from the dump.

chemi-cool
19-04-2009, 05:35 PM
A lot of posts will not get your compressor back to work.

All the symptoms you have described show that what you need is a new compressor.

Its fun to play with unknown parts, take them apart and put them together again....... all these will not eliminate the main issue, compressor will not be same any more...

Get a new one pal.

richelli
19-04-2009, 05:38 PM
You say the compressor has start/ run capacitors. Have you chech the microfarad reading of both capacitors. If the start capacitor is goosed the comp will pull a lot of amps and overload. Check the capacitors first if they are not reading what they should could just be a cap. Other wise try a new relay but after that sounds like your comp could be seized.

You say the ohm readings were 'about' 6 to 30 ohms. Let the comp cool and two of the readings should add up to the third. common to start, common to run should add up to start/run windings. If they are way out depending on how good your meter is could also be your problem.

Brian_UK
19-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Or simply that the mechanical parts of the compressor are shot.

Bearings or pistons seized.

merm
20-04-2009, 12:16 AM
All the symptoms you have described show that what you need is a new compressor.

I suspected this is where we were headed. Thanks for not sugar-coating the news :-)

amitsaxena
20-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Wait for new set of OLP/PTC, ur problem will be solved with that only. No need to change comp.

thanks

jdunc2301
20-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Or simply that the mechanical parts of the compressor are shot.

Bearings or pistons seized.

On the head... compressor gone.

it was working
23-04-2009, 05:47 PM
the compressor is goosed

p_p
23-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Without doubt the compressor has come to the end of its working life!!!!

PP:mad:

nike123
23-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Facts are that many of you judged that compressor is dead for sure.:eek:
Also, fact is that OP did not measured or confirmed, on any way, that capacitor/s is/are OK. Also replacement PTC and condenser/s are/is from scrapyard. Also, how are you could be sure that overload protector is OK.:confused:
That makes me wonder why are so many of you so sure that compressor is dead, or, is that only good picture of field practice?:(

Rexter
23-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Always check the capacitor, there cheap and easy to replace, and those buggers do like to go out. with a good cap and on overload device working even for a moment the compressor will start, if does not you have a bad compressor.

lowcool
24-04-2009, 03:32 AM
if you now what the locked rotor amps are & you current draw equals this,or greater than,the comp is seized.if its lower its a starting gear problem.general rule of thumb

FEISTY
28-04-2009, 03:16 AM
These small hermetic compressors usually have an internal protector device that is testable but not replaceable. Cycle the compressor once you have installed " good " start components. I f compressor trips off, pull parts off comp. terminals and ohm across pins to prove " closed " internal circuit. If open, comp. is going off on internal overload. Could be seizing motor, bad coating on windings due to overheating, or weak overload. Part may have been going out for a while but you just noticed it now. If internal...you own a paperweight !!! Change it and keep coil clean !!! good luck.

shyboy
04-05-2009, 08:45 AM
hi, everyone. i am new here. i think it may be the high head pressure cause this problem. if the condenser coil dirty. it will cause the high head pressure occurs which tripped the compressor off.

nike123
04-05-2009, 10:34 AM
hi, everyone. i am new here. i think it may be the high head pressure cause this problem. if the condenser coil dirty. it will cause the high head pressure occurs which tripped the compressor off.

The overload trips after 10-15 seconds, then resets after 15-20 minutes.