PDA

View Full Version : Adapter needed - Imperial gauges to Suva 134A cylinder

desA
16-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi everyone,

Disaster in Laos!

Received a cylinder of DuPont-Suva 134A - refrigerant (auto), Dispos-A-can container - non-refillable.

Tried to connect our Imperial 2-valve brass manifold yellow centre pipe to the DuPont cylinder - only to find that the threads are different. Since we're new this, working on a range of heat-pump prototypes, we're going to need to find a suitable adapter to link gauge-pipe to Dupont cylinder.

Would anyone be able to advise on whether a standard adapter exists, or what thread sizes we need to use to make up an alternative adapter.

Help would be gratefully appreciated.

chemi-cool
16-03-2009, 07:18 PM
This is what you need

desA
16-03-2009, 11:51 PM
^ Many thanks for the pic.

Would you perhaps know the thread sizes involved in the female-male sections? The spanner-head section can be made to suit the nearest spanner.

Where we are located, this kind of adapter may end up rarer than hen's teeth & we may have to make one up to suit - or, wait for some time for it to come up from Bangkok.

Comes with living in an emerging area. Sometimes have to wonder if I'm off my head trying to develop high-tech stuff in this area. :(

desA
17-03-2009, 12:19 AM
From an internet search, it seems that the sizes involved may be as follows:

1/4" SAE charging hose
3/16" SAE system access hose

My next worry will be the o-ring seat that must certainly be inside the female part & suitable o-ring.

Beginning to have a feeling that we'll have to order a suitable adapter & just move onto something else in the meantime. Life's challenges.

Grizzly
17-03-2009, 06:05 AM
desA
Check out your Visitors Messages as I have posted a link to one of the many
American sites that use this type of fitting.
Grizzly

Quality
17-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Looks to me like the male thread is 1/2" Acme

desA
17-03-2009, 10:43 AM
desA
Check out your Visitors Messages as I have posted a link to one of the many
American sites that use this type of fitting.
Grizzly

Thank you so much for the links - very much appreciated.

We managed to cobble together a cheap-&-nasty adapter for the next few fills - it does seal (soap test). I'll source the correct ones & order a decent number - they are bound to be used often.

Amazing how a small oversight can almost derail a project. Had a sleepless night over that... :eek:

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

chemi-cool
17-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Try this one, they have it.
www.yellowjacket.com/