PDA

View Full Version : r-404a superheat issues and compatibility with r22 A/C.

Chacata
09-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Hi, i'm new to the site, hope i'm welcome. I'm installing a new compressor in an old window type a/c unit and i have a few questions and doubts about the compatibility of the componenets and refrigerants.

A do it all technician comes before me and determines the compressor fail and removes it letting all the R-22 charge free to the atmosphere (wrong, dumb, irresponsible and illegal but this is a common thing in my country :rolleyes:) and then declares himself uncapable of finishing the job.

Basically the client bought the compressor without asking me first what compressor to buy so here are my problems:

1. The compressor is a 42.000 BTU unit and the a/c is a 30.000 BTU unit.

2. The compressor is clearly and boldly labeled that is intended for "R-404A or R-507 refrigerant ONLY".

3. Apart from being a client he's an old friend and insists me on installing it despite knowing we might have problems.

4. I installed it today, my refrigerant table shows me that R-404A has a higher working pressure in equivalent temperatures to those of R22. Due to being sunday and me having only 2 bottles of R-404A refrigerant, i could only do a partial charge.

I ask these cause i mostly do commercial refrigeration (ice makers and walk ins) and sincerely i don't know what to expect out of this other than superheat problems and/or topping out the heat exchangers capacity.

So, what are your thoughts on this ? Thanks in advance for your replys. I'm from Venezuela and my english is not that good so whatever you don't understand please ask. Thanks.

nike123
09-03-2009, 06:24 AM
Big mess! Save your self one compressor and never switch on that AC.
Tell your friend to buy new window shaker or to return that compressor to supplier and exchange it with matching one.
EDIT: Ups, this is not any more option since you already installed it. My condolences to you and your friend, it is only question of hours or days for premature death. :rolleyes:

Compressor doesn't care what refrigerant is in it. Only what is matter is type of oil.
Compressor capacity is given for certain working conditions so same compressor has range of capacities for different conditions and different refrigerants.
What is important when finding new compressor is, that is of matching displacement or volume flow and matching motor power and usage range (low temperature, medium temperature, high temperature).
Oil could be drained and changed for proper (mineral) oil of required viscosity for that usage with R22.

You need compressor of cca 8 m^3/h volume flow and motor power of about 2,5kW filled with mineral oil for that unit.
From this volume flow you could calculate compressor displacement by dividing this number with number of compressor rpm.

Chacata
11-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Could i use r407 refrigerant then? or is the compressor way too big no matter what refrigerant i put in it?

Thanks for the reply, i knew i was in deep stuff when i ventured into this job but didn't knew how much...

nike123
11-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Could i use r407 refrigerant then? or is the compressor way too big no matter what refrigerant i put in it?

Thanks for the reply, i knew i was in deep stuff when i ventured into this job but didn't knew how much...

R22 or R407C difference is 5% in favor to R22.
That doesn't cover additional difference in 20-30%.

Chacata
15-03-2009, 07:12 PM
HA! Had a check on the compressor model number and it is a tecumseh AVA2490ZXN so it's not even near close to an A/C application compressor...

I uninstalled the compressor and apparently the suppler it's going to take responsibility for the error. It's my fault not checking the model number before installation but it's also the supplier's fault to sell one type of compressor and supply a whole different model...

I'll be posting here when i install the correct compressor, i hate threads without an ending:confused:

vand23
10-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Is anybody online leaving arround kent who can supply me R404a for o job? Your help will be deeply appreciated, since as you know today and Monday are bank holidays in U.K. Thanks.