PDA

View Full Version : Job Change

bernard
20-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Hi

Has anyone ever got out the refrigeration trade and made a career elsewhere ?

Or is there a ocupation on your wish list ?

Regards Bernard

tonto33
20-02-2009, 11:29 AM
gigolo :) well im white goods engineer and there is never enough of us, specially to do system work on domestics

CHIEF DELPAC
20-02-2009, 04:57 PM
tonto33 Thats a new one on me, white goods engineer. Would you please tell me to what a white goods engineer is. C.D.

bernard
20-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Hi White goods is washing Machines Domestic fridge/freezer ect.

CHIEF DELPAC
20-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks Bernard Learn something new everyday. C.D.

GHAZ
20-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Often thought about it but the money is not bad and the occasional travel on easy jets is pretty good,but when i first started in this game it had a prestigious flare about it and now it seems pretty average, or may be i am getting old,but i was always interested in lorries driving and mechanics

cmac
20-02-2009, 11:49 PM

paul_h
21-02-2009, 04:53 AM
Hi

Has anyone ever got out the refrigeration trade and made a career elsewhere ?

Or is there a ocupation on your wish list ?

Regards Bernard
I tried, I quit my job in 1999 and did 2.5 yrs at uni studying computer science.
Stuffing around with computers has always been a hobby, but I decided to keep it that way, life in an office is too boring for me and I decided I hated programming.
Also wages for a fridgy went from $17p/hr when I started uni, to $30p/hr when I dropped out of uni and went back to refrigeration.
Higher pay, better job security (you can't outsource a boots on the ground fridgey as easy as you can a programmer), greater potential for me to be a good fridgy rather than an average programmer meant I came back :D
edit:
More interesting things and developments in refrigeration compared to most jobs I think. If I ever get stick of being self employed repairing the small stuff trying own a very profitable business before retiring, I may try get a job somewhere learning the big stuff as that would be interesting.

Fatboy Taz
21-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Got made redundant last July, been in the Fridge/Air-Con/Control trade for over 35 years, took time out to find the right job (about 3 months) now working for a FM company as a Senior Contract Manager, very good money, car, holidays etc, and the best thing off all NO ON CALL ever, there is life outside the RAC game you just have to sell yourself and go find it.