PDA

View Full Version : Green vs. Efficiency

ChillyWilley
14-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Recently I started preventative maintain for a customer, which happens to be a pharmaceutical manufacturer. The customer informed me of the company’s soon to be new policy of Natural Refrigerants. This would mean that their chilled water plant with five centrifugals equaling to 3,050 tons of cooling (R-123 & R-134a chillers) would have to switch over to ammonia or to absorption equipment.
I can see a why company would like to go ‘Green’, but to give up the efficiency of the existing equipment, has me scratching my head.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

ChillyWilley

Stev
14-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Scrapping a working efficient system for a new system is not ecologically sound. The environmental cost of the new system would be larger than that of the remainder of the life of the old system.

I also did not think that ammonia is very environmentaly friendly?

taz24
14-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Scrapping a working efficient system for a new system is not ecologically sound. The environmental cost of the new system would be larger than that of the remainder of the life of the old system.

Initial instalation costs aside Ammonia is one
of the most effiecient and environmentally friendly refigerants available.

R134a is one of the most ineffiecient and unfriendly to the environment ever. More than 80% of 134a produced has escaped to the atmosphere and it has a C02 equivalent of 1400.

Ammonia is the way to go. Its just humans it hates:D

taz.

Grizzly
14-02-2009, 11:15 PM

Stev your comments are completely sound.
Apart from the last one! Ammonia is a totally Natural substance.
Therefore the only time it is environmentally unfriendly
is when some idiot puts it down a drain.

Incidentally you need a third less power to obtain the same output as a *****.
From personal experience no-one discharges ammonia or is cavalier with its release.
Which is more than you can say for some of it's rivals!
Grizzly