PDA

View Full Version : help with electrical problem

frostiepaws
07-02-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm working on a lowboy freezer. It freezes fine, all fans work properly, but when the timer hits defrost mode, after a few seconds it trips the breaker. The amp reading on the plug is abt 13 in normal mode and jumps to 26 when the timer is moved to defrost. The condensing unit is unplugged, I removed the top of unit and unplugged the door defrosters, and I found a charred split wire, I thought for sure I had solved the problem,-not-. I have tried to isolate each section, I tried replacing the timer same thing happens. I can't figure out what else it could be . Any suggestions?

chillerman2006
07-02-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm working on a lowboy freezer. It freezes fine, all fans work properly, but when the timer hits defrost mode, after a few seconds it trips the breaker. The amp reading on the plug is abt 13 in normal mode and jumps to 26 when the timer is moved to defrost. The condensing unit is unplugged, I removed the top of unit and unplugged the door defrosters, and I found a charred split wire, I thought for sure I had solved the problem,-not-. I have tried to isolate each section, I tried replacing the timer same thing happens. I can't figure out what else it could be . Any suggestions?

Hi frostiepaws

Not familiar with your unit but

If it's reverse cycle - check solenoid
Heater bars - mega out or disconnect one at a time

Also check wires to timer - you may have one rubbed through and starting to short

Goodluck chillerman :)