PDA

View Full Version : York Solid State Starter Fault

Bill at 101
01-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Hi Guys,
have been dealing with this problem for about 18 months. Have a Model YK, R-134a chiller with Style B Solid State Starter. Every few months the unit shuts down after several hours running with high phase heatsink temp, this is followed by a number of other faults. See attach. for details, note Phase B current, don't think this is correct.
York Techs don't know, has anyone else had this problem. Is it the temp sensor or is it the whole board.

Tesla
02-12-2008, 05:27 AM
Hi Bill
the temp sensor is obviously faulty, and looks like the board too. Do your measurements first on voltage and current at motor - allow about 2%V and 10% current imballance. There could also be some crossed wiring between A B and C. I've seen a board blow when another tech used ground of controller to check the 400V supply (accidentally metre switched to ohms). Use a Fluke to capture any inrush current (if any). Hobo data loggers are also good for trouble shooting this type of problem. Also use an IR thermometer to check for hot spots. Be careful.

Electrocoolman
02-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi Bill,
Has your starter got internal or external bypass. Normally solid state (soft starts) switch in a bypass contactor when unit reaches end of ramp to prevent heat being generated within unit.
Perhaps you have a faulty contact on your bypass (could be internal to unit).

Pyr0Beast
02-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Phase B takes more power than the input power is ? 0.o

Bill at 101
03-12-2008, 02:47 AM
I have had the unit go into alarm again after running for about 4hrs, have included photo of recent alarms, similar but different parameters. Any help will be appreciated,
Regards .............. Bill

NoNickName
03-12-2008, 07:43 AM
There's nothing wrong with the voltage, but at least in the first image I see a lot of differences between current absorptions on the three phases, and a geniune phase b heatsink alarm on phase B (111°C, presumable setpoint 110°C).
Is the heatsink clogged by scale?

Also, why POWER FAULT? Is the mains stable?

Grizzly
03-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Bill
Maybe the attached will help a little?
At least I hope it will?
Grizzly

GHAZ
03-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Hello bill at 101 send me your email and i,ll post you complete manual

Bill at 101
04-12-2008, 04:07 AM
Thanks again Guys,
I have all the complete manuals and this problem is not included anywhere.
However have spoken with a guy who know an ex-York guru in Sydney and he has pointed us in the direction of the "SSS Communications Error Statistics" page in the diagnostics area. Apparently this counter can only hold 256 bits or errors and when it is full wacky things can happen. So these counters need to be reset to '0' every now and then. In later units York have given this a value of 20,000 or something. Anyway the unit is running fine now with no more faults and I will keep an eye on the counter to see how quick it goes up.
Regards ............. Bill

Bill at 101
04-12-2008, 04:22 AM
Thanks Ghaz,
as stated have full set of manuals.

Regards .............Bill
bburgess@101collins.com.au

Grizzly
04-12-2008, 06:01 AM
Thanks again Guys,
I have all the complete manuals and this problem is not included anywhere.
However have spoken with a guy who know an ex-York guru in Sydney and he has pointed us in the direction of the "SSS Communications Error Statistics" page in the diagnostics area. Apparently this counter can only hold 256 bits or errors and when it is full wacky things can happen. So these counters need to be reset to '0' every now and then. In later units York have given this a value of 20,000 or something. Anyway the unit is running fine now with no more faults and I will keep an eye on the counter to see how quick it goes up.
Regards ............. Bill

Good of you to reply Bill.
Thanks for the info.
Grizzly