PDA

View Full Version : Where to use condensate pumps?

NexusR
28-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Hello
My company wants to trade blue diamond pumps in Poland, so I wonder to whom can I sell them. Charles Austen, saying that you can install them, when gravity drainage is not possible to remove the condensate that has been collected from beneath the evaporator. But is it an option or necessity in installing air-conditioning, and is air-conditioning the only application of blue diamonds? Could anybody please tell my to whom can I offer those?

paul_h
28-10-2008, 09:39 AM
They are only needed when installing a wall mount split system air conditioner on an internal wall.
Not a necessity, as most installers choose an exterior wall to mount the split system. But some houses don't have enough wall space on exterior walls as there is large windows on the external walls.
So not many people need them, and quite often installers will choose a ceiling type air con to avoid having to buy a pump in those situations, as many people don't like the pumps at all due to the lack of reliability and annoying noise.

But that's the very small market you have, those wanting to put a wall mount split system on an internal wall, which isn't very many installers really. Just people not wanting a ceiling unit, so people doing the job on the cheap for residential or for small server/comms/switchboard rooms.

I've used them in refrigeration cabinets and process chillers too, when the cabinet is in the middle of the room. But that's not common either as heaters are often used to boil off the condensate rather than draining it/pumping it away.
Refrigeration wholesalers would be your best bet to sell them too, so they have them in stock to sell to installers if needed. But no single installer is going to need a lot of them in stock.

NexusR
28-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks a lot Paul.
I noticed that ammonia is used in refrigeration applications, so is it safe to use those with it? I mean is there a need pump to be corrosion-proof? (sorry if my English isn’t well).

paul_h
28-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Just to be clear, when a refrigeration system evaporator is below dew point, condensation of air moisture forms on the outside of the evaporator. Condensate isn't produced inside the system, it's on the outside (just like a cold drink taken from the fridge and left to sit on a table). This condensate needs to be drained away to stop dripping water inside the house.
Most wall splits use piping to an outside wall, using gravity to drain the condensate away.
The market for these condensate pumps you have is for wall splits mounted to internal walls, as they can't use a pipe to the outside wall to drain condensate, they have to pump the condensate up into the ceiling and then out.
Because the condensate forms on the outside of the refrigeration evaporator, it doesn't matter what refrigerant is used, even if it's ammonia.
The pumps are an external operation to the air conditioner, which is why they are not needed is many cases, just an option needed for internal wall installations where a gravity fed drain line cannot be used.