PDA

View Full Version : Airwell BS 36 Technical Manual

Electricliff
08-10-2008, 10:54 AM
New to R.E.and new to refrigeration.(Did Carnotīs cycle for school physics!)

At 72, I am unlikely to ever earn money as a refrigeration engineer. But with a fixed income (pension rapidly losing value) the ability to understand and service all things technical around the house should help us to survive.

Our house (in Spain) boasts an Airwell BS 36 reversible air-conditioner with remote control.

The unit has been working fine in cooling mode during the summer. Last week it was a bit cool in the evening so tried it in heating mode. Hot air flowed for about half an hour but then the overcurrent breaker tripped in our consumer unit.

Further tests during the week established that in heating mode it will run for anything from 10 mins to an hour, but then takes out the overcurrent breaker.

I have an installation manual, but this is limited to showing the indoor and outdoor units as boxes with connection details for pipes and wires between the two boxes.

52 years experience in the electronics industry has taught me that the "black box" approach to system fault finding is great if you have spare "black boxes" but doesn't help with understanding why the "black box" is failing.

I guess that a detailed technical manual is needed. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Scanning the web so far has only found disturbing news about Airwell AU in administration. Maybe a tech manual is more urgent than I anticipated!!

:confused: Cliff Bell

yinmorrison
09-10-2008, 10:44 PM
You should be able to get the info you require direct from the France HQ I have a contact there but not the details to hand.Have you checked that the running current is OK and matches the breaker as the unit will probably run at higher current on heating as it probably has direct electric elements as a boost to the heat pump mode and it will be staged so maybe that is the problem.

narkom
10-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Take a look
http://service.airwell.com.au/Search/

Electricliff
13-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks for that Yin(?).
We are new to this house, and Iīm told by the previous owner that it ran fine last winter, and doesnīt have an auxilliary heater. ( Never gets cold enough in this part of Spain!!! They say !!!!) Thats why I would like a comprehensive service manual to know what Iīm dealing with.

Electricliff
13-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks Narcom.
Guess I might need to research the Model No a bit more. There are no Bxxxx numbers on that web site.

multisync
13-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Are the filters clean on the indoor unit?

Multisync
London

Electricliff
14-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Yes, first thing I did without knowing anything about the unit. I find a lot of problems with computers in Spain are caused by clogged up cooling fins and filters, so thought the same might apply to air-con.

nike123
14-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Yes, first thing I did without knowing anything about the unit. I find a lot of problems with computers in Spain are caused by clogged up cooling fins and filters, so thought the same might apply to air-con.
If your outdoor temperature is higher than 15°C your air conditioner is overloaded and because it doesn't have High pressure switch, compressor keeps turning till point when his motor cannot overcome pressure. Therefore motor stalls and current breaker trips. Do not use air conditioner in heat mode when outdoor is higher than 15°C

narkom
14-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks Narcom.
Guess I might need to research the Model No a bit more. There are no Bxxxx numbers on that web site.

BS36 is an indoor unit.
I guess you should search an OUTDOOR unit.

leestoke
14-10-2008, 11:14 PM
easy answer is it will pull more current on heating and your fuse is probably not motor rated

SkyWalker
17-10-2008, 06:06 PM
great link narcom thanks

The Viking
17-10-2008, 07:45 PM
As leestoke wrote; check that the MCB is motor rated.

Ambient temps might be a problem.

BUT

If we trust the previous owner when he says that it worked last year, then we are looking at something that has gone wrong.

The only bit that would be energised in heating but not in cooling is the 4-port valve's coil.
This is a "header" thingie with one pipe attached from above and three pipes from below (hence 4 port). On its side will be a solenoid coil with 2 leads attached to it.
(Normally it is fitted close to the compressor)

Disconnect (or cut, but if you do you will have to make good) the leads and check that the coil isn't down to earth.
If it's not down to earth, remove the coil and visibly inspect it (cracks or hot marks?), also check the resistance across the coil.

Good hunting.

P.S. Removing the coil should not cause any refrigerant leaks, on very rare occasions a shortened coil have burnt through the stem it been fitted to. If it has, then the whole valve will need replacing and that's a job for a professional.

Electricliff
19-10-2008, 04:56 PM
OK guys and many thanks. you've given me a lot to think about and try. Will get the thermometer out next time the good lady wants heat and test the outside temperature. If that doesnīt work it's check this four port valve and keep fingers crossed that itīs only the coil.
Thanks again

Prince Vaillant
25-10-2008, 04:53 PM
You could contact Airwell UK

Head Office

Airwell (UK) Ltd.
St. Thomas Street Business Centre
St. Thomas Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne & Wear
NE1 4LE

Tel: 0191 2221567
Fax: 0191 2221307

Good luck though!

Austech5
17-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Sorry it has taken so long for this reply but only just started on the net. I was looking for manuals myself and read about your trouble.

I have been working on Airwells for years now in Australia. Your model doesn't ring any bells but the same principle applies to all brands and models.

Ambient temps above 18 are not ideal but it shouldn't trip the breaker.

Some models will have a sensor on the indoor coil.(mainly hi-wall splits) This coils is designed to both hold the indoor fan off until the indoor coil warms up in heating mode, and to cycle the outdoor fan off when the indoor coil gets too hot. Cycling the outdoor fan off in heating mode reduces the amount of heat absorbed and reduces discharge pressure and power. Your next problem will be getting a sensor. Let me know if you still have trouble I may be able to get resistance to temperature chart to source a thermistor.

One other common cause is too much refrigerant. You may need a tech to check the pressures it operates at on an 18 degree day. If there is no indoor sensor too much gas will be your problem. A quick test is to partially block the air flow through the outdoor coil. You should find the system will run for much longer. (I don't recommend doing this for too long though as damage to compressor valves can occur) If this is the case please ensure small amount refrigerant is reclaimed into a bottle by a qualified tech.

Hope I wasn't too late finding this site for you. I'm sure there will be many of people who learn from it anyhow.;)