PDA

View Full Version : Name That Tune

Gary
06-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Does anyone remember an old television game show called "Name That Tune"? The idea was to name a popular tune with the least notes played.

In this forum, I have countless times requested the 8 temperatures by which we can figure out what's wrong with a system and this information is almost never provided. But that doesn't stop everyone from taking a wild guess at what the problem might be.

It seems we are playing "Name That Fault".

taz24
06-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Does anyone remember an old television game show called "Name That Tune"? The idea was to name a popular tune with the least notes played.

In this forum, I have countless times requested the 8 temperatures by which we can figure out what's wrong with a system and this information is almost never provided. But that doesn't stop everyone from taking a wild guess at what the problem might be.

It seems we are playing "Name That Fault".

You under estimate the powers of the Force young master Gary.

Have you forgotten that you need to be psychic with telepathic powers.

:D
taz.

Gary
06-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Like it or not, using the force is what we are relegated to.

Just call me OB1

Grizzly
06-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Would that be the "8" refereed to by your good self ob1.
In this post?
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15274

Grizzly

Gary
06-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Yep. Those are the magic numbers. They reveal most problems on most systems.

chillyblue
07-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi Gary,

This is so true, but sometimes when you can't get to the evaporator or you are rushed of your feet, you sometimes go for the easiest option (i know thats not right and you should gather all the info).

To help everybody here what would be the conclusions drawn from the information you have collected (are there some general pointers) I have seen in the past a reference sheet, i.e. if this temp is high and this temp is high it may be due to X fault. Alot of people may collect all the information and not know what to do with it.

Cheers

CB

Gary
08-10-2008, 12:08 AM
Generally, if someone goes to the trouble of gathering the data, I will walk them through the system.

US Iceman
08-10-2008, 04:27 PM
I do not like reference sheets. They do not help the person to understand the underlying problems or factors.

I will agree with Gary, if you cannot get the right data you do not know what to look for. Anything else is guessing.

The hardest thing to learn is: how to analyze the system. Statements like; too hot or too cold or ice on the compressor do not provide solid evidence of anything except the obvious.

Refrigerants operate by pressure and temperature relationships, so this forms the basic premise for any analysis that needs to be performed.;)