PDA

View Full Version : Dakin, swapping a pc boad.

koy
30-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Hi,

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to swap a board from a FTXS20D2 indoor unit in to a FTXS25D2 indoor unit for testing only.

THX.

paul_h
30-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Probably not, one of the fault codes most brands have is a "mis matched unit" fault code. You they must have identifying signals to what model they are.

koy
30-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Probably not, one of the fault codes most brands have is a "mis matched unit" fault code. You they must have identifying signals to what model they are.

I thought probably not but worth asking.

Just a thought the unit is a multi split would this make any difrence the units are all from the same system conecting to the same outdoor unit?

multisync
30-09-2008, 06:40 PM
I think it would work ok. You can mismatch indoor outdoor units and if it was a multi how would it know that you'd just changed the board and not the unit.As long as they are the same series i would give it a go.

I understand Daikin just adjust the eprom on some of their units which either increases the air flow (indoor) or increases the inverter max speed (outdoor) to get a 60 instead of a 50 for example.

Puddleboy and a few could possibly confirm?

Multisync
london

koy
30-09-2008, 06:50 PM
I think it would work ok. You can mismatch indoor outdoor units and if it was a multi how would it know that you'd just changed the board and not the unit.As long as they are the same series i would give it a go.

I understand Daikin just adjust the eprom on some of their units which either increases the air flow (indoor) or increases the inverter max speed (outdoor) to get a 60 instead of a 50 for example.

Puddleboy and a few could possibly confirm?

Multisync
london

Thanks for the reply, they are from the same series.

Can anyone confirm before I give it a try?

frank
30-09-2008, 08:57 PM
If both of the indoor units are connected to the same outdoor 'multi' unit , i.e. 2MXS, then it would do no harm.

After you have exchanged the pcb's just do a full reset which should make the outdoor unit 'see' both of the connected indoor fan coils but in a different configuration.

As long as it's for test purposes, I do not see any harm in it.

Just a thought - why do you need to do this??

koy
30-09-2008, 10:40 PM
If both of the indoor units are connected to the same outdoor 'multi' unit , i.e. 2MXS, then it would do no harm.

After you have exchanged the pcb's just do a full reset which should make the outdoor unit 'see' both of the connected indoor fan coils but in a different configuration.

As long as it's for test purposes, I do not see any harm in it.

Just a thought - why do you need to do this??

The unit is giving a fault of fan motor but I'm not to sure if its the boad so just want to make certain.

Thanks for the help you guys.

nike123
01-10-2008, 08:11 AM
The unit is giving a fault of fan motor but I'm not to sure if its the boad so just want to make certain.

Thanks for the help you guys.

By doing this swap, if fan motor is defective, you could damage new (swapped) board.:eek:

Check fan motor first with multimeter for short circuit and measure winding resistances and compare with other fan motor wich is OK. It could be diference in readings but you got general idea what you should read in perfectly OK fan.
Sometimes these fan motors are same for few models.

paul_h
01-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Yeah, if in doubt I always swap both the fan motor and indoor boards, no point swapping or replacing just the board without being sure the fan motor is good. Swapping the boards over just to test the fan could result in 2 dead PCBs.
Compare windings with another motor, and then with the motor unplugged, switch the unit on and quickly* check the output voltages on the PCB fan plug through all the speeds.

*before it cuts out on fault.
When panasonics stuff up they normally damage the motor AND the board.

puddleboy3
01-10-2008, 09:40 PM
As you've probably all ready worked out to change the fan motor you need to pump the system down, remove the PCB and then remove the heat exchanger coil from the unit. I would advise against bending the coil whilst still pressurised for obvious reasons!! Why not quote your customer for a new indoor unit probably take less time to change over than strip and rebuild unit!

multisync
01-10-2008, 10:23 PM
As you've probably all ready worked out to change the fan motor you need to pump the system down, remove the PCB and then remove the heat exchanger coil from the unit. I would advise against bending the coil whilst still pressurised for obvious reasons!! Why not quote your customer for a new indoor unit probably take less time to change over than strip and rebuild unit!

I beg to differ- I have done at least 3 of these fan motor changes and none require the H/E to be removed. It's a reasonably simple swap out.

from memory-
front cover
electrics and electronics complete (disconnect fan from board as you can't reach the fan connection yet)
drain pan c/w vane tilts and pulls out
undo fan scroll retaining screw via air outlet slot (you can see the scrool quite clearly now)
undo the three fan motor screws and remove plastic bracket
lift out motor

the coil does not move.

In fact at one site we were issued the indoor unit complete and I just swapped the baord and motor for speed.

Multisync
london

puddleboy3
01-10-2008, 11:57 PM
True but us old school daikin boys do everything by the book dont we? Cost wise I dont think there would be much in it, so I would imagine the customer would prefer a complete new unit. But as usual ive been wrong before!

nike123
02-10-2008, 01:41 AM

Why blue when it could be yellow? :D

Serious now!

I don't see how change of fan motor or indoor PCB could be less cost effective than change of whole indoor unit. Skilled and trained service engineer could diagnose what is defective in 10 min. Parts are probably expensive, but not as much as new indoor unit. Also scope of needed work to do indoor unit change and simple PCB or fan change is pretty much different in favor of last.

puddleboy3
02-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Changed a fan motor on an R407c Daikin wall mount split system last week the motor alone cost me £10 more than I can buy a R410A wall mount of the same size. Dont know the exact cost of the new fan motors but I cant imagine there would be much in it.

multisync
02-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Changed a fan motor on an R407c Daikin wall mount split system last week the motor alone cost me £10 more than I can buy a R410A wall mount of the same size. Dont know the exact cost of the new fan motors but I cant imagine there would be much in it.

Yes, Daikin are a rip off with some of their spares..

Multisync
london