PDA

View Full Version : Cap tube blocked with white powder

powell
11-08-2008, 01:29 PM
I have a contractor customer that's had a few systems in the last weeks where the cap tubes were blocked with white powder. He claims it is the Danfoss solid core driers that he is using, sizes 032 and 052.

The systems are R134a high temp reach-ins.

Anybody had any experience with this problem?

My suspicion is that it might be heat related.

chemi-cool
11-08-2008, 08:17 PM
R-134a is known for its cleaning abilities, I always find blocked cap tubes on small systems,

White powder in the USA is a sensitive case but I would go with your contractor, it makes a lot of sense.

powell
12-08-2008, 04:07 AM
White powder in the USA is a sensitive case :off topic:............................:D

but I would go with your contractor, it makes a lot of sense.
Because it's a Danfoss drier?

He brought the drier and cap in today, it was on my desk. I was in meetings so I didn't have time to look at it. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Latte
12-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Evening all.

Seem to be getting a few cabinets with white powder blocking the cap tubes. The driers have no maker on them but am treating them as a drier breakup and fixing accordingly. Bad batch or common problem ?

Regards

Fatboy

the mojo
17-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Evening all.

Seem to be getting a few cabinets with white powder blocking the cap tubes. The driers have no maker on them but am treating them as a drier breakup and fixing accordingly. Bad batch or common problem ?

Regards

Fatboy
This is a very common problem with these units.
The factory filter has just a single pressed in screen at its outlet of 40 mesh capacity.
The break down of the filter media caused by lack of cleaning and high ambient locations is the cause.

bernard
17-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Hi

It can also happen if the capillary tube is pushed into the drier to far.

Regards Bernard

grapple
20-08-2008, 09:14 PM
it happens when a condenser is blocked or has bad airflow.when problem is recurant, best thing to do is change capillary [universals available], and comp, as broken down drier dessicant will sit in oil. also blast through cond & evap, and fit 032 drier.134a problem!
prodominantly

keepmecool
19-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Powell

I'm not speaking from experience, but we have had a lot of clogged cap tubes lately and found the drier dessicant has turned to a powder like your problem which clogs the system. The suppliers said this was due to moisture in the system, maybe from not evacuating properly. Food for thought?
Michael

cool_tech
22-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Gday guys
agree with keepmecool small driers easy blocked with moisture causing that problem. seen it on very small splitsystems

absoair
04-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I have seen this with other refrigerants utilizing POE oil. Poor evacuation and/or leaving the system open too long to atmosphere.